'average up to 145mbps'

Is it only me that grits their teeth with English like this? The speed IS either an average of 145meg OR up to 145meg. It can’t be both.

3 Likes

I agree, it’s really annoying.

But then I’m the sort of person who gets irritated by the continual misuse of weight/mass :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Another excellent example of dumbing things down for the masses.

Maybe it’s regional, in which case it could work. Let’s say in the north ten customers have signed up. Five customers enjoy a download speed of 100Mbps and a further five enjoy 190Mbps, their mean average download speed would be 145Mbps.

Now consider the south, where a further ten customers have signed up. Five enjoy a speed of 80Mbps and another five get 120Mbps. Their mean average would be 100Mbps. Hence the average average across the country is 122Mbps, but it would also be true to say that the average speed is up to 145Mbps. It’s just how you tell it. And it’s that that irritates me.

The fact that we only get 4Mbps irritates me even more!

4 Likes

Yes I did consider this… i.e. the mean (yes let’s stop using the word ‘average’) might be by taking selective groups of customers.

It would be better if they just said that your speed was guaranteed to be between X and Y :joy:

Then they could dispense with the nonsense. Quite how we’ve ended up like this is beyond me.

So when someone asks you how much you weigh, do you give the answer in Newtons? If so, I bet you get some strange looks!

2 Likes

:joy::joy:

I just go along with it nowadays and avoid being like Moss.

Although it really gets on my nerves when I see engineering companies I work with, or other engineers misusing weight/mass.

Another annoyance is when I see a document and it says ‘force applied = 20KN’. My days, mixing upper/lower case. That’s unforgivable :joy::nerd_face:

I think I have some serious issues :joy:

1 Like

Needsmore of the original text to know if it makes sense!

It is possible for the average speed to be different on different occasions, e.g. at different times of day, while the average as reported might the average over a short timeframe, whether a second, a minute or whatever, and not the overall average over a long timescale. Putting it another way, the statement may be quite correct in indicating that the highest average speed Is 145, meaning it can achieve an average [short timeframe] speed of 145, but under non-ideal conditions the average [short timeframe] speed may be lower.

Something that annoys me is: “Sale! Prices reduced by to 90%!”. So it might only be 1% off…

It’s the latest TalkTalk advert that I’ve heard three times on the drive to work and twice on the way home. They make no mention citing particular times of day or locations or time periods.

Yes! The sale adverts are equally annoying :frowning:

My pet is “almost exactly…”

Its either or.

Not sure I would expect them to state that in an advert, but I would take it the way I reasoned. However as a measure download speed inevitably is over a timeframe, it could be simplified and remain correct by saying more simply “a download speed of up to 145”.

Unfortunately these businesses never quote the minimum speed…

A cat? Actually it’s a lion cub!

Pet hate…

4Mbps! 4!!! I get 1.5. That must wreck the averages.

And I thought we had it bad. You could see if you get an improvement with dial-up! I’ve just checked your profile and see that you live in Devon, so maybe that explains it.

That certainly explains it - Devon doesn’t come high up the list of concerns for Westminster. Nice place for holidays, but no-one lives here the rest of the time - or at least, no-one that matters.
I’m not bitter. Not at all. mutter mutter poor roads no public transport high prices low-paid work mutter mutter.

3 Likes

I don’t know how an accurate speed can be given when your router and phone line make a big difference.

Totally agree, absolutely meaningless … complete rubbish, keep well clear.

Wow, 1.5 is seriously slow - shades of dial-up 20 years ago. Even here in West Cornwall, with no fibre from the box in sight, we manage 70 without breaking sweat! Do you live on an isolated farm, or in a 10 house hamlet in the middle of nowhere?