Avoiding wired connection without using optical. Flawed idea or not?

Am I necessarily preferring it over an Ethernet connection?

Sorry I should have used the third person.

My point is any preference would be on personal tastes and combinations rather than any notion of ‘sound quality’

Sure but isn’t it always like that when we compare different interfaces, cables, etc. on the basis of what we hear?

The OP is considering changes in the network upfront the ND555 that, under normal operational conditions, should have a minor impact on the sound quality.

The test that I have suggested is likely to yield a greater impact (in which direction I do not know, of course) and seems (to me) a necessary first step to establish a baseline for more subtle comparisons. All based on the OP’s ears, of course!

Hi KJC

Your network diagram is almost exactly what I have and have been using successfully for about 5 years. The construction of our house is such that linking the upper and lower floors with a cable would be impossible.

I did it using two ASUS routers, one of which was set to “Media Bridge” mode in the setup. The WiFi on the bridge is used exclusively to communicate with the main router, which is the only one giving out IP addresses. I get a connection speed of around 200mb/s, plenty for Tidal streams. The Tidal tracks are fully buffered in the Roon Core anyway.

2 Likes

Update fwiw…
I followed @james_n suggestion (great idea!) to try pulling the plug on the router connection after setting an album to play vs playing same album with a connection and found the sound a tad smoother and more relaxed with the plug pulled, but quite a lot of dynamic impairment and a significant loss of engagement, so I guess I’ve answered my own question. I’ll stay very happily plugged.

1 Like

That’s saved a bit of fiddling about. More time for music Kevin :sunglasses:

1 Like

Indeed James! It’s sounding particularly superb these last few nights. Could be the rebuilt Fraim arrangement or the ER switch burning in further after 4 weeks. Might even be that my 7 month old ND 555 has taken a leap. Whatever it is I like it :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.