Awesome YouTube Stuff

Latest single release from Everything But The Girl.
From a new album out in march…woo.

:heart:

Interesting historical/Hi-Fi industry documentary. I had a 3020 and other NAD stuff back in my earlier years, one of my first brands I’d consider at that time to be proper stuff whilst still being accessible and affordable.

4 Likes

Arjen - and Floor - but unless you understand Dutch, you will need to switch the sub-titles on… :thinking:

Hiromi - The Trio Project
Jazz Festival Lugano, 2011

Such a great concert!

2 Likes

Interesting but what is he proposing as an alternative…? For me Spotify is free and the quality of sound is slightly better than youtube. I am all for artists earning their fair share, but with Brexit effects on our life style together with Covid, flu and other strains I am only too happy to receive music for free, about time as I have been supporting artists all my life by buying records, cds and buying expensive concert tickets. Will Rod Steward or Paul McCartney donate to me £5000.00 for a modest hifi system, I doubt it very much…! There I have had my rant and most probably others will rise to the defence of the poor artists…

That’s the argument right there. If the record companies and consumers like you want people to work for (practically) nothing then the whole industry will come crashing down. It is simply not sustainable (Spotify itself is loss-making). Only a very few musicians get rich, either from recorded music or gigs. Rod and Macca are the exception, not the rule.

The alternative to the current ecosystem is for people like you to pay for music, not expect to get it for free. I presume you expect to be paid for the work that you do, so why do expect others to do so?

5 Likes

For my part, while I agree whole-heartedly with what you are saying, I feel that artists/performers are paid too small a percentage of what the labels get (with regard to CDs and vinyl). I remember many years ago when CDs were about £10 to £12 a throw (even for CDs that were originally vinyl) a CD, jewel case and inserts cost (IIRC) about 98p (that was what one of the major CD makers were charging the record label). I don’t think the artist got much (id any) more than that. The rest was taken up by the record label.

I agree with your argument but its nice once in a while to get something free…! To stray from the norm occasionally…

4 Likes

‘Listen to the Flower People’ - Spinal Tap

7 Likes

Excellent - written by their old bass player Ronnie Pudding. Debate who was the drummer on this single either Eric “Stumpy Joe” Childs or Peter “James” Bond.

Apparently Status Quo credit this as the basis for their song Pictures of Matchstick Men.

2 Likes

Screw Madonna, Alison’s back!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing like a lot of us I started with a NAD system in the mid 80s. Great stuff.

Life is Beautiful (Keb Mo’)

4 Likes

Looks like Peter “James” Bond on drums on this video.

2 Likes

Awesome. EBTG are one of my all-time favourites. Ben’s solo stuff is also excellent.

1 Like

The Derek Smalls/Peter Bond rhythm section was always great, though I prefer the Ronnie Pudding/Stumpy Joe Peeps set up.

2 Likes

That is a reasonable point of view but I think it’s those few tracks featuring Ross MacLochness that really stand out, especially those on Intravenous De Milo (the first Tap album to go bronze)

3 Likes

What a legend.

Former Kilt Kids member and musical prodigy (he played the Royal Albert Hall at age two) who joined Tap as keyboardist in 1974 shortly before the release of its disastrous concept album, “The Sun Never Sweats.” David: “He had an incredibly fast left hand.” (DV) Retired to pursue missionary work in Namibia the next year after the release of “Jap Habit.” Later released solo album, "Doesn’t Anybody Here Speak English?

2 Likes

Lovely cover of Floyds ode to Syd

:heart:

3 Likes