Awesome YouTube Stuff

Black Mountain - Space To Bakersfield

Live on KEXP.

From their fourth album. One of my favourite songs ever. Great tune and a sensational guitar solo. 11 worthwhile minutes of your life. Honest.

8 Likes

Wow! What an incredible find, Nick. I’d never heard of them until now, but if that’s in any way typical, I’m about to take a deep dive into their albums on Tidal.

1 Like

The first four albums are terrific (first one channeling 70s hard rock).

The fifth was disappointing, with some of the group replaced (though the guitarist stayed, as did Jeremy Schmidt whose solo works are terrific and very different )

See also Pink Mountaintops.

2 Likes
3 Likes

We were there, but though I remember going for a walk during an endless Moby D1ck, I can’t remember this.

I should be ashamed of myself.

1 Like

Bran Van 3000 - Drinking in LA

This was used for a beer advert some while ago. It’s live, they nail it, and there’s an astonishing number on stage. The album didn’t top this, to I still like it.

1 Like

Just when you thought you would never see Michael Portillo skanking to some sweet reggae music, David Rodigan comes to the rescue…

Run the track!

Fantastic!

I always find Andrew Milton’s weekly Beatles films entertaining and informative and this latest one is no exception:

4 Likes

Agree, last weeks instalment about the photographer behind the Please Please Me cover was interesting.

His website is worth a look too, but just wished the records were a bit cheaper! That said, the quality is top drawer.

1 Like

Shearwater - Backchannels

KEXP again. Jonathan Meiburg’s group. This is from the album Jet Plane and Oxbow.

4 Likes

Loma - Relay Runner

KEXP again. Here they’re playing at the Sub Pop 30 anniversary gig, with Jonathan Meiburg this time taking a back seat. Great ending!

I’ll stop boring you now.

2 Likes

Still loving this.

5 Likes

:heart:

One of the great underappreciated bands.

1 Like
5 Likes

JAZZPOSPOLITA - Rezerwat

OK, I could resist. Now I really will stop.

Polish quartet. It’s jazz plus something else, but that “something” is a mystery to me. Their music is melodic, and makes for rather interesting textures.

Oh, and they’re Swiss and on Bandcamp Name your own price. Qobuz has them too.

2 Likes

Good grief! That rhythm section… awesome!

1 Like

I had never heard Imelda May singing before, but boy can she sing!! Thanks for the introduction.

1 Like