Ayrton Senna 1960 - 1994

It is madness what the drivers are paid. They should
Reduce the ticket prices

1 Like

What is sad he had a big argument with his brother
Just before he died it was connected with his parents
And the last girlfriend.
Family should never interfere in relationships

Senna did have an appreciation for Clark, but his respect went to a little known Terry Fullerton. Pure racing as Ayrton called it.

I’ve watched F1 since the days of Stirling Moss and I think Jim Clark was the most natural talent I saw. In F3 Martin Brundle ran Senna very close. It’s a pity Martin never received a competitive drive.

It’s a very good point John I don’t think Martin was ever quite the same after the crash at Dallas. The damage to his ankles was extensive, and I don’t think he ever really had the feel after that. I think the same injury effectively ended Johnny Herbert’s career early, despite showing promise.
Jim Clark was a supreme talent and it’s difficult to compare across era’s but if anyone is in doubt of Senna’s natural ability, you just need to watch his opening lap at Donington in 93. If you’ve ever driven at Donington you know what an astounding bit of driving it was, especially in the wet.

1 Like

Absolutely great driver, no doubt about that though, without rose tinted glasses on, I remember the flaws too. Including that he habitually irritated many people in the pit lane throughout his career and like many top drivers, when he felt things weren’t slanted his way threw massive hissy fits akin to a spoilt child.

He certainly became more likeable as he matured however and in the season he died was less of the drama queen I felt.

I do wonder if this relaxation in character and attitude were connected with changes in his driving and thereby whether he felt he needed to prove to either himself and/or others that he still had the edge, even if not quite so much hunger?

With a competitive drive I think Martin would have won F1 races. He won in every other field he entered especially in America and Le Mans.
He was also very good in a rally car.

2 drivers who were outstanding chris amon and
Jacky icx the problem was the ferrari always broke down. These boys were fast.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.