B & W 800 D4 series

Ah they do take power - I had the 800 D3 - and low volume performance was one of the things that frustrated me a little, just sounded flat. I have the 500DR too - and that could certainly get them moving, but I always felt they needed to wick turning up to unsociable levels to sound anything like…

…it’s like they wanted to be the centre of attention and wouldn’t play nicely until they were.

I never suffered with too much bass from them - but I do think I have a room that lends itself pretty well to them, as I can have them quite a long way from the rear wall without them looking weird.

I’m intrigued by the 800 D4 - and it’s nice to see the return of Connolly Leather, as per the original 800 Diamond.

1 Like

I was mightily impressed by the looks of the new 802D4s in piano black at The Sound Org (York) yesterday but I have yet to hear them. I am sure that will happen soon.

Richard

4 Likes

The finish on B & W 800s has always been faultless. According to my dealer the most difficult finish to get right in the factory is the all black. Its also the most prone to finger marks.
They expect to have all the D4s on demo from November. Allowing for a suitable run in period you might get a pair for Christmas!
The price to change from 802D3 to 802D4 is now a much larger bit of cash than before. They will need to spectaculary+

1 Like

…better than the outgoing model.

1 Like

Douglas,

I purchased granite plinths from a chap a few years back who had bought the 800D3’s - this was not long after their launch. He may have been a particularly fussy man but if memory serves he had his speakers replaced two or three times due to his dissatisfaction with the finish on the black finish. I suspect his expectations were exceptional, as were his demands on B+W!

Peter

1 Like

Funny - I had the 800 D3 up until a year ago, and was actually less than impressed with then High Gloss Black finish. Quite uneven and “crackly” under bright light.

I’m looking forward to seeing - and hearing - the new ones though! …I’m really glad Connolly Leather has seen a return!

My SW London dealer says the black finish is the most difficult to get right and that probably means the unit cost may be more. Its the most popular in the UK. We have a couple of fairly large Italian ornamental figures. The glazing has minor surface cracking. Down to ageing again?
My 802D3s are Rosenut and about 3/4 years old. If you run your hand over the bass unit it now has a very slight roughness to the finish. I put this down to natural ageing and the wood just drying out.
The pleasures of ownership.

1 Like

Listened to the 805d4 today. Also did a back to back with the kef reference 1. Both were paired to a Uniti star (less than ideal perhaps). For comparison, i used to own the star. I’m now on a Nova, full powerline and have the 805 d3.

Initial impressions are that the d4 is much more neutral sounding and spacious in comparison to the d3.

The reference 1 was a more detailed speaker yet slightly laid-back.

Personally still like the B&W’s. The fit and finish on all the d4 range is spectacular.

That being said, I’m not sure the huge price increase is worth it compared to the d3. They’re still superb speakers. I got a good deal on them, so I think they’re staying. Must say the new finish alone is tempting.

2 Likes

I’d be very curious as to what you think of the b&w 805. I fairly recently bought (what I’d consider) the comparable speaker in the Dynaudio range - the confidence 20. Price of the con 20 is much higher, but on the used market it was pretty close. has any one done a comparison of those two? Also con 20 reviews are finally starting to appear, even though it’s been out for several years now. Anyhow please let us know how the audition goes.

Interesting to hear your comments on the new 805D4 and how it looks like it outperforms the outgoing D3. This puts it into something of a bargain as the price to upgrade throughout the 800 series is now substantial.
All this from an 802D3 owner who has not heard its replacement. Your last paragraph isvery relevent to me.

1 Like

If you are looking at the 805 D4 check out the Vivid S12 … I think you would be in for a surprise…

1 Like

@benjy the con 20 reviews are slowly appearing on YouTube too. Good reviews so far. Best way is to maybe seek a home demo. I also think it comes down to preference.

@Douglas i have to admit I was really tempted to trade my d3 in for the d4 but really, the d3 are fantastic speakers and the d4 seems more iterative. Maybe also I think that to get something truly substantive, you’ll have to end up paying loads more and have a better listening environment. Teaching me to be happy with my setup, which I think after 5 months, I am close to it.

You highlight significant points n20nine in going from D3 to D4. I don’t feel a hour or so at a dealer demo would be enough for me to decide one way or another. So that comes down to an extended home demo: possible but not an easy execise with each 802 weighing a good 100KGs. Lots of vans outside!
Had a serious listen to my 802 D3s a couple of nights ago. I didn’t feel I was missing anything.
In an extended conversation with the late Derek Jenkins not that lomg before he died, he made the point" There is always more".

@Douglas im definitely going to spend more time with the d4 but going to try and keep a sensible mind and not jump to pulling the trigger. There is always more, but at what cost and when does it stop. I’m saying that, I can now enjoy my current setup with a smile on my face. For months, I was always chasing for the next big thing and went down a rabbit hole. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the d4 should you audition them.

Good advice. I await the call from my dealer!

805 D4 is in my sight lines as a possible next upgrade, keen also to hear your thoughts

1 Like

My view is the tweeter on the D3 is a honey…mid bass unit is more meh…after my home demo… the cabinet construction on new D4 should improve things…not sure what they have done to the bass mid driver… the bigger models have had some major revisions to the mid driver…

I have heard the D3 tweeter in some situations, dealer and at home, where it can sound a bit bright.
In todays amps without tone controls, mostly, its of course fixed. Overall and that’s what counts the balance is spot on. I think sometimes we blame any shortfall on our equipment when its really the recording.
Regarding the bass from the 802s I have to say it was only when I had the D3s driven by a 500DR could I dismiss any problem in this area completely. The floor standers need an amp with good grip.
That’s back to driving the room. Another area in hi-fi which can be difficult to tame.

I am a 802 d3 owner. The 802 d3 is similar in specs to the 800 d3. The former is 94.5 kg and the latter is 96 kg. The 802 d4 is 88.1 kg and the 800 d4 is 100.6 kg. While weight is not a guarantee of quality is B&W widening the gap in performance between the two sets of speakers?

Sorry should have said the 801 d4 is 100.6kg