Backing Up The Core

I suppose that one day you might have tried to play one of those 9 faulty album rips and discovered it that way. But nevertheless it’s good service from Naim diagnosing a fault that wasn’t of their making as it turned out.

Best

David

2 Likes

Yes and no. Most HDDs will last a long time but early failure is not that uncommon - it happens. Always a good idea to be well backed up.

1 Like

A lesson learned!

While being happy for Mark resolving his issue, I am here just to catch the last Core backup thread to ask David, Simon or any other kind member for that matter, what USB/SATA III cable they recommend to use with an EVO 860 backup SSD.
Do super data transfer speed and accelerated transmission protocols capability matter here and how?

I wouldn’t use that for backup. If you want to buy an SSD for backup, fair enough, but you can easily get external backup SSDs that come with leads provided. I use a Samsung portable SSD T5 and that came with a USB-A lead and a USB-C lead in the box.

But honestly SSD is still expensive enough that for Core backup I use a USB HDD. Any type will do although I like to use Seagate, and they come with a USB-A lead in the box too.

And to your second question, I think the answer is “no not at all”.

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks David, it makes sense. I was thinking of backing up my 860 1TB SSD that is now 90% full, by a 860 2TB and make the swap in the Core drive caddy.

I’m not sure whether if you do a backup and physically put that SSD into the Core, it will be seen as a music store without formatting it. If you try then do please tell us the answer!

The conventional way would be to backup your Core, buy a new internal SSD, make that the Music Store, accept the format, and then restore your backup to the new SSD. But of course that does imply buying an extra SSD, although one assumes that errr… you do have a backup at the moment?

Best

David

I have a backup SSD next to my laptop.
Now could I then swap first the SSDs, place the new 2TB in the caddy, format it and restore the folders of my current main 1TB via the Core USB port?

Yes but you do the restore through the Naim app so it all depends whether your Core can see your original SSD and whether it looks like a backup to it.

You are in new territory here. I have never heard of anyone trying this before (but I expect lots have but they aren’t forum members!)

It should work from an IT point of view, but we don’t know what subtleties the Naim firmware may require.

For example the Music folder in the Core’s internal music store is locked so you can’t just cut and paste into it.

You could probably cut and paste the whole lot into the new downloads folder, but you wouldn’t be able to edit it using the app any more. You would have to use a PC or Mac based metadata editor.

Best

David

Not done this in a while. When i started out i have two backup discs and two Core hdd drives (retired without an IT department) .It was OK for a while but it did get a bit complicated. Must try and set the other drive up again as a parallel drive. If i can do it…anyone can.

I was also wondering if you can still edit metadata of rip files in a restored Music Folder via the App.
And if you can read and play files directly from the Back-up without restoring them (I doubt it).

The restore should put the Core rips back into the music/MQ folder and so yes you should be able to edit them with the Naim app.

On the second question, I’m not sure. But probably yes because you could define the backup location as a music share and the Core then scans the shares and indexes those so the music shows up in the app.

But you haven’t got a backup any more if you do that!

Best

David

Thank you so much for sharing your precious insight as always David! Best, Frederic -

I have noticed a vast difference in prices say between a 2TB Samsung external ssd and one by Seagate or Lacie. Two questions arise: is the speed difference significant when making a back up? Also how about reliability? And do I need SSD as opposed to HDD for back up purposes?

I don’t think the speed difference is significant as it’s all pretty slow really, limited by the USB specifications. I couldn’t comment on reliability but I would expect all the big brands to be similar for their consumer products.

And you can use HDD or SSD for backup. It doesn’t matter which.

Best

David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.