Balance knob poll

Why there was no Nait 1 or Nait ?
I understand why no 4, because of Chinese superstition. But 1?

There was a NAIT, I had one back in 1985, I replaced it with the 62/140 around the time the NAIT2 came out.

1 Like

Just play ā€œMade in Japanā€, either CD or LP. Yer knob wonā€™t matter coz the left & right channels are reversed anyway. :laughing:

1 Like

I hope this doesnā€™t jinx things, but I never knew this was such an issue in all honesty. Iā€™m certain I never shouldā€™ve commented.

Play that on the earliest Nait and - all is back where it should be.

Apart from all your other records.

2 Likes

Of course, one could always turn oneā€™s chair around and sit facing away from the speakersā€¦ā€¦

Really?ā€¦but which channel? Or was it SOT?

Itā€™s a physical imbalance that is the issue. For instance, my SN2 balance knob would go to about 7:30 when turned to the max left position, but it would go to about 5:30 when turned to the max right position. Nothing to do with the sound balance, neccessarily.

Oh, I thought the thread title was ā€œBalance Knob Pullā€ā€¦ā€¦

This forum has officially jumped the shark.

To some extent it is, as on all but he 552 pulling the knob off and moving it round a spline (or maybe even two) will centre it. Care has to be taken that the wires to the LED donā€™t get pulled tight and have enough slack for full knob rotation when refitted so there is some risk involved if enough care isnā€™t taken.

The 552 has to be opened up and a large locknut loosened so the knob can be repositioned, then retightened to secure it. All of which is best left to someone who knows what theyā€™re about.

2 Likes

Good Morning All,

Isnā€™t a balance knob a bit like tone controls - superfluous, do they still fit these things? - Bring on the dark agesā€¦

Regards

Richard

2 Likes

I did try to pull the one off my 252 but thought better of it as it had some resistance. But, as the balance varies with volume, itā€™s probably senseless to chance it and easier to shuffle in the couch a bit when needed.

The original LP of DPā€™s Made in Japan is wrong - channels are reversed.

My remastered version of all 3 nights - Live in Japan (?) - is the correct way aroundā€¦ I believe. Well is opposite to my LPā€™sā€¦

YMMV, as alwaysā€¦ :sunglasses:

Thatā€™s right. The original 1972 LP was reversed from the audience perspective. The story went along the lines of the mix being how the band perceived it on stage, Richie on their left, John on their right.

The 1998 remastered & extended CD is also reversed. But nowt that canā€™t be fixed in Audacity.

Anyway this is now going seriously ā€œoff pisteā€.

But only at the very lowest volume. It shouldnā€™t vary above this threshold, and the threshold should normally be very loud low.

I guess the balance might shift at higher volume levels, but then itā€™s probably not the volume pot that does it, but the room. I would be very surprised (and very unhappy) if the balance (of the pot) shifted whenever I change the volume

Yes, any variance will be worst at the very beginning of the pot travel, after that it should be very even through the rest of the range. If not, itā€™s likely thereā€™s something else at play thatā€™s causing the imbalance.

So far the poll is showing a higher proportion of off centre knobs for amps where there are fewer votes, so maybe thereā€™s a bit of early bias in the responses as those with off centre knobs have more interest in the subject.

(No sniggering at the back there.)

2 Likes

My 552 balance knob seems pretty well centred, however the issue is that at low volume the channel imbalance from the volume pot is not good and is pretty damn disappointing for the Ā£cost of the pre-amp.
Significantly more annoying than the infamous Naim ā€˜humā€™ā€¦ :disappointed:

2 Likes

I find I have to adjust the balance to make up for poor L to R room acoustics. When we move house, I will try to address the room issue.