Balanced mains

Perhaps we should go the whole hog and install motor-generator sets, a generator powered by a motor?

I did consider this myself during an idle moment back in the 80’s, its just that the benefit, if any is negligible. not withstanding the down sides,

1 Like

Well the electrician fitted my balanced mains transformer today whilst i was out working.

I almost forgot as been a busy day, anyway sitting down listening to some 24bit / 44 London grammar and it’s sounding fantastic, compared to the same track but in 16bit / 44, its easier to hear the difference in quality, so i guess that’s a plus point, and hopefully means it’s all that bit less noisy now?

But its in and now have 115 volt going down the live and natural, balancing each other out nicely.

1 Like

Balanced mains were trialled (with great success apparently) on here by a chap called Marc in either USA or Canada some years ago (previous forum). I have been interested ever since but nobody followed on. Though Russ Andrews was selling an installation for a while (don’t know if he still is)

Russ Andrews do still sell balanced units, but they are more like a mains block.
What i have is far cheaper and goes between the hifi consumer unit and the hifi sockets. So basically sits next to my hifi consumer away from my hifi.
It certainly seems to be doing something i am pleased to say, and everything is sounding good
It’s running nice and quiet, and it’s now my end game as far as mains quality is concerned.

1 Like

I believe to gold standard for balanced mains is Equitech. They supply for home and studio use and do some very serious kit. For example combined balanced mains with a consumer unit in one.

image courtesy of Equitech

2 Likes

Better not have that in the listening room, because it will replace the buzzing of the Naim kit. That happened when I tried a power conditioner that supplied a balanced power in our old flat.

Little update, got to say the balance supply is doing it’s thing very nicely.
The unit itself is nice and quiet, but its away from the system anyway so wouldn’t be a problem if it did hum

But my system was already nice and quite as in no transformer hum what so ever, but it’s sounding very nice now all the time is what i have noticed, there is no bad time or best time now, so it must be doing something.

But i would say every system would benefit from a balanced supply, but some even more especially if you have humming gear.

It’s not that expensive to do as well.

3 Likes

Every system would benefit ……:joy:

Not sure what you mean?

But yes i stand by what i said. 115volts down both which then cancel out any mains noise that you have coming down a normal 240 live cable has got to be good.
I guess it works in the same way a balanced xlr interconnect cable works?
But well worth putting one on your hifi radials

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.