Banana plugs

Thanks for your help everyone. Think I’ll send the cables in to Naim to sort the banana plugs out. Much appreciated! Cheers.

You’re welcome. I had one almost completely recessed spring like that on my standard plugs - it just took a little more effort and use of a fine blade to get underneath and lever it up. Fully understand if you’d rather let a dealer sort it considering the price tag of these. Good luck anyway.

1 Like

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies. To complete the story I have decided to send the cables back to Naim for new banana plugs. The cables are just outside warranty unfortunately but the bill is £189 which didn’t sound bad to me. I also understand they are designed to be fairly loose fitting into the binding posts on the speakers but obviously not to the degree that they could fall out. Turnaround time around 3 weeks. Thanks again everyone, best wishes, Pete

1 Like

The mini ‘jeweller’s’ flat bladed screwdrivers are useful for this sort of levering job…

Thanks Svetty. I managed to get that to work for 2 of the 4 offending plugs. The other two however has the springs so flat I couldn’t get a screwdriver or blade underneath. So in light on HH’s comments I’m sending to Naim to have new plugs fitted. Thanks again

A couple of weeks back I snapped one of the prongs on mine - it was in the speaker WBT connector at the rear, which requires the prong to be cinched (otherwise it’s very loose - the spring wiper didn’t engage much/if at all). The cabling/connector didn’t like being moved it seems - perhaps just one of those freaks, who knows.

BUT - I also noted some issues which I’ve reported to Naim, as these are thin plate hollow prongs (sound better?) and it appears cinching them (even just a tad), can deform them by the way things happened with mine, and they aren’t strong terminations IMHO…on a very expensive cable.

1 Like

FYI, Naim replaced all 8 plugs on my SL speaker cables. £159 + carriage.

The new ones, while being the same, look stronger (thicker gauge?) and, at first look, of better quality. They certainly fit tighter. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Mine are away now, should be back in a couple of weeks. Glad your experience was good. Cost to me was 180 inc carriage so sounds the same. Looking forward to their return.

How did you compare if they don’t fit in the other configuration?

They fit in the other holes if I raise the speakers off the floor due to the the length of the SL plugs. The speakers just look a bit daft sitting on top of 2 inch wooden blocks.

1 Like

Don’t the blocks change the sound too?

Not really. I had them on blocks for a few days just to get them running and it didn’t seem to cause any problems, but Shahinians are not fussy about what they sit on compared to many speakers.

Morning all. Just to finish the story - I ended up sending the speaker cables back to naim. They were out of warranty but was quoted max 180 for reterminating which sounded ok to me to get it done properly. The cables came back with new banana plugs and no charge. Bonus! It may be because as someone said there may have been a fault with early sl bananas in that the springs collapsed. May also have been that my dealer emphasised Ive recently purchased a nac252 and nap300! Very happy with that result - top service from Naim. Nice tight banana plugs now.

Thanks everyone for your help i​:grimacing:with this. It was the icing on the cake adding sl cables - so feels like my journey is complete - or should I say paused until next time! :notes:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.