Bargain purchases that bring pleasure far beyond their cost

During the second war, some pigeons received honorific medals, for carrying secret messages to soldiers.
But now they became our enemies.

1 Like

Being an alley cat, you probably know your prey better than me :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It’s my assumption, but I’m no ornithologist so if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will enlighten me.

Have you tried knocking on it?

1 Like

I’m not that fast!

Have you never eaten pork? There is nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, that a pig will not eat.

2 Likes

You are right. But I prefer not to think about it. How could I enjoy my “ sandwich saucisson beurre cornichons”? if not

I would go for wood pigeon, the white “collar” tends not to be seen on feral or city pigeons. I’m sure somewhere someone will show me otherwise.
I’ve not seen pigeon in the butchers for some time. Cook either with red wine, shallots and lardons, or chocolate sauce.

1 Like

Seagulls that have moved inland scavenge from waste tips, yet they are clever and can learn from other birds - I’ve seen one tapping its foot on the ground to bring up worms. But they are also pests, and indeed they are aggressive: when I lived in Cardiff I saw them grab food from people eating, on one occasion an ice cream from a young child even as the child was licking it, terrifying the child, on another an adult was eating chips from a box when a gull swooped grabbed and sent the box flying, whereupon a dozen or mire dived in, and one tried to get at the box the person’s companion was holding. These were in the city, not on the sea front.

1 Like

I’ve eaten pigeon in Hong Kong, and certainly the way they cook roast it it is delicious - a real favourite of mine.

I you want to try eating pigeon. Don’t eat the legs, they are dry and chewy.

Cooked like that, maybe I should try one day

pigeon legs caramelized pan-fried cloves

1 Like

I’m sure you take care of the sigarette end yourself, rooster?

My mind can’t bring together eating pigeons and the topic title ‘bargain purchases that bring pleasure far beyond their cost’.

1 Like

Certainly in HK (I haven’t eaten them elsewhere), from the eating places locals frequent they are inexpensive and taste fabulous!

I hope not being too far of the topic, as pigeons are bargain birds :joy:, not so expensive as Californian duck.

Mobier, blue auvergne (?), Comte, but not sure what the others are.

I think it’s reblochon and Pont l’évêque

1 Like

You are right, it’s Mobier. Bleu, sure, but Bleu d’Auvergne , very probably.
At the right side of the Bleu, it’s Pont l’évêque.
You are a “ connaisseur “ Camphuw :+1:

1 Like

Love my cheese - and miss French cheeses such as Beaufort and Tomme d’Savoie.
Of course accompanied by local baguette and wine.

1 Like

We had roast pigeon breast at a Michelin star restaurant in UK last summer, between lockdowns. It was delicious.

Best

David

1 Like