Bass & Treble adjustment

I feel that between full range speakers driven by a Nap 200 dr and driven by both the Nap 200 dr and Class D amps for bass, the latter combo will give better results for bass at low volumes? Not?

Maybe, maybe not, it depends on a lot more factors than just the position of the amps.

In this later more specific case you’re talking about, you’re also introducing another factor by specifying class AB for the external amp and class D for the internal amp; this wasn’t specified by IB is his original two more general posts about bass response.

1 Like

Ok, my misunderstanding.

1 Like

Well the active setup for the bass driver obviously offers lower resistance as there is no physical crossover. This is done in the DSP within the amp. As for vibration. I suppose this is no different from all active subs. Only the cabinet being the angled shape that it is drastically reduces vibration and standing waves. Something I hadn’t expected but the cabinet vibrates much less than any other speaker I’ve owned and i feel that is heard in the sound too with lack of colouration.

I think there are a number of things here that might be overlooked. Usually a sub has a big heavy driver that requires lots of power to move well. My active sections are not really subwoofers. They are light weight bass drivers that are quite efficient, driven by ample power. They really have quite astonishing attack and impact. Probably a combination of the light weight cone and lowered resistance in the pathway.

Anyway, this conversation has gone way off topic and the OP has probably pulled the pin on it long ago.

I suppose in reality the issue that the OP is experiencing is likely down to system synergy and simply taste. He may like a more laid back sound from a speaker with a lower treble level. This has a big impact on lower volume listening also. It’s a shame more speakers don’t come with treble adjustment. This may be all he needs, an extra 0.6 ohm’s of resistance on the tweeter.

Whilst your bass driver is light compared to some that is due to using a rare earth magnet - what counts in terms of weight is the moving mass, and I’m not sure that a moving mass of 127g counts as light, from what I’ve seen being pretty much middle of the range for a 12” bass driver such as intended to be used in a sub, and quite a bit heavier than many used as bass drivers in wider range speakers.

(This is not knocking the drivers or your speakers, neither of which I’ve heard or have reason to doubt perform well, just clarifying fact)

Yes by the looks you are quite right.
Taking a look at some of the alternative driver options from other manufacturers it looks like mine are on the more high sensitivity side being 96db. This will be why they are easily powered by lesser wattage in comparison to other active subwoofers.

You can if you use a DSP processor (such as a miniDSP HD) between the preamp and the low level input to the sub!

True true, i was also promoting the use of a programmable DSP earlier in the thread to achieve this, that would be the best option overall i think.

It’s how I control my sub.

It does the room correction to suppress the primary room ‘modes’, accurately controls the crossover to the sub and acts as a line driver so that the preamp only has to drive a short cable. However I don’t have a ‘loudness’ function programmed in; personally, I prefer to keep the natural balance.

Adding a Naim Powerline, replacing the standard Powerline Light shipped with the Uniti, did wonders for the bass output and bass control on my Uniti Atom.

Also the Powerline was worthwhile on my now-replaced NAP250DR and on other Naim Classic components.

Conversely I prefer Shunyata Venom NR power cables in my main Chord system (I didn’t think I would).

1 Like

Hi Clare,
I purchased some decent 3.5m x 4ml cables, and there is a noticeable improvement.
Thanks.
One thing I’m trying to find now, is a guide to all the features and usage beyond the “quick start” guide.
I was using the usb input to play my hard drive content.
Wasn’t aware that there were more useable options/queuing etc via the servers input.
Surely, I shouldn’t have to keep coming to the forum for answers?

Scroll down to the bottom of the Uniti Star page on the website and look under the Support tab…

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/uniti-star

1 Like

…have you spoken with your dealer when you have questions. I have called mine on occasion and they were always helpful. The forum is great but my dealer is local with posted hours of operation. If they are busy with customers they do call back.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.