Batteries that run from nuclear waste

Anyone else heard of these! Sounds too good to be true? 1KW power boxes that run for decades. Looks like a brilliant solution for off-grid power… am I missing something or is this not the answer to so many of the issues with ‘green’ electricity? Were can I buy half a dozen?

3 Likes

Worked for the Voyager probes since 1977 i think.

4 Likes

Sounds almost too good to be true
I bet they are expensive though

Pigs might fly! Putting radioisotopes into any device for use by the general public is somewhat risky, to say the least. Maybe in a few decades there will be a safe, efficient and commercial technology based on this, or a similar, technology. Until then, don’t believe everything you read.

There are strict regulatory requirements in relation to radioactive sources and I doubt very much indeed if they would ever be made legal for domestic/consumer use.

1 Like

I think the ideas are that this might be used for non-end-user applications. However the potential, if they COULD get this in a form for the domestic user, is huge.

They say they are in the business of selling the electricity not the devices

1 Like

Small companies like this are in the business of hype. Unfortunately we live in the real world. New nuclear technology would require major investment and many years to prove its performance, cost effectiveness and safety. There is no panacea for cheap energy generation, but there is no doubt that clean energy technology will continue to improve and costs will fall in the future as we decarbonise.

Its another 3 months until April 1st!!

1 Like

:sweat_smile::clown_face::wink:

1 Like

RR have put nuclear reactors into our submarines for decades. But even their recent proposals for ‘small’ nuclear power stations are a bit on the large side for individual domestic supplies :sunglasses:

Amazing things. Sprinkled some on my kids breakfast this morning. Great results.

3 Likes

That thread makes me think on that:

6 Likes

Oh well… I thought it was a good idea with massive potential and huge advantages. :frowning: Maybe not practical for the end user (though the gains in ‘green’ energy would be fantastic) but for larger infrastructure applications I can definitely see big pluses. Perhaps I’m too much of a dreamer; reading science fiction for 50+ years perhaps does that to you.

The last thing we need is people being able to buy everything they need for a dirty bomb at Tesco.

1 Like

I’ve always wondered why house prices around Sellafield (nee Windscale) were so cheap.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.