Battery Operated Lawn Mower

Did that shelter come with it? If not, can I ask what is it/where from?

1 Like

I brought the garage as an add on as they had great 30% sale on at the time so managed to also include a strimmer edge tool and a extendable hedge trimmer that all work of the same battery. This is the link to the garage in Oz. https://au.worx.com/shop/garden-tools/landroids/landroid-accessories/worx-wa0810-landroid-garage-with-flip-up-cover/

The only problem is that you can waste a lot of time just watching it go about its work. Also you get a few cars pulling up to watch it when itā€™s out.

1 Like

I bought a Bosch Rotak 43 li to replace a Mountfield petrol mower. Although the Mountfield was self propelled it was heavy and had to be restarted every time you empty the grass box. The Bosch is very light and easy to manoeuvre. I have a couple of spare batteries and this cuts our 200ft back garden with ease. Would never use petrol or mains mowers again. Batteries also work with strimmer and leaf blower.

Have been using a Makita battery mower (218v) for a couple of years now. Canā€™t recall which model exactly. Works fine, even with the large area we have. Have three pairs of batteries, 24Ah and a 6Ah pair. Means we can mow for several hours if necessary. Best with an audiobook and noise cancelling headphones. Cuts wet grass, necessary in this neck of the woods, but uses more juice in doing so. Blades are lighter than those of a petrol mower (less need for flywheel effect?) so care needs to be taken to avoid ā€œdebrisā€.

Willy.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using a cheapo Greenworks battery mower for several years now and am very happy with it. My lawns are a fairly similar size to yours and it copes quite well. If you start fully charged then you may need to recharge once about half way through the job. Iā€™m happy to have a break then anyway. In the height of summer it can whiz through on one charge.
If the grass is very long or very wet then the batteries run down faster. For the first cut or two of the season I raise the blade a bit and leave the bag off which helps a lot but after that itā€™s fine.

1 Like

I wanted to get a battery mower, but because my lower back is bad I got a 30 inch riding mower. As it turns out, it will mow thru anything and I donā€™t like to cut until itā€™s long-ish anyway. So I only cut every two weeks which is a good thing for me and the enviroment.
It takes about 45 minutes to do front and back because I mulch thoroughly which requires some extra passes. The rider also allows me to cut even when itā€™s 30 degrees (90 F).
When I do get a battery mower, it will be a robot mower, I think.

If your riding mower isnā€™t electric how is that good thing for the environment, versus using an electric every week? Just curious.

I use an electric mower. In the spring the grass grows too fast to wait for every two weeks, but as soon as it slows I mow only every two weeks. I am glad to be rid of a gas-powered mower.

As I mentioned, I have a bad lower back and couldnā€™t push a mower, so it saves me having a firm come and do it. Conservation takes many forms.
The fact that it only takes 45 minutes every two weeks is better enviromentally compared to a standard petrol push mower.

1 Like

I thought itā€™s funny touting environment friendliness of a petrol riding mower in a discussion of electric mowers. Iā€™m sorry for your back (I have a dodgy lower back myself), but the ā€œenvironmentalā€ rational of it still strikes me as comical.

Does a riding mower used bi-weekly really have a lower carbon footprint than a much smaller petrol push mower used weekly? I have my doubts.

1 Like

I understand your point, but most people around here donā€™t get a new Honda for $500, they are using some old piece of crap that came with the house, because they just paid 1.5M for the house and their mortgage rate has gone up 5%. The motors blow smoke and rev up and down, and it takes them an hour and a half every week because if the grass gets too long the mower just bogs down.
I run hi-rest fuel and it purrs like a kitten for 30 to 45 minutes every other week and my back is okay.

I very much agree tho ā€¦ elimination is the key and that is what the batteries do. When we move house I will be sussing out robot battery mowers.

LOLā€¦Iā€™ve not seen anything like that in my neighborhood.

Obviously youā€™re living in the wrong neighbourhood ā€¦ LOL

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Plenty of food for thought.
Regards.
Roger

1 Like

Just bought an EGO 1903 self propelled. Very impressed at the shop. Comes with 40 min 5A fast charger and battery. EGO is very popular with just deserve. Germany engineering, US money, but alas made in China as they all are!

Phil

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.