BBC internet radio problems?

It isn’t a problem specific to the Qb–I have the same problem on Qb, Qute2 and NDS. Updating firmware on the Qb isn’t likely to be a solution.

Me to. Both my Muso Qb and my NDX have the same symptoms. They have both behaved perfectly up until a few days ago. It also affects multi room operation but only on radio 4.

Yes, I’ve now checked my NDX (wired) which I rarely use for iRadio.

Re-buffering every few seconds on BBC Radio 4 HD

The other few stations I tried were a.o.k. so this does appear to be an issue with BBC Radio 4 HD (Radio 4 Extra is fine)

So glad to see these posts as my Qb has been doing this stuttering on BBC Radio 4 for a couple of days and I wondered if my network was at fault. But, although the Qb is wireless, it also happens on the 272 (wired). And, it doesn’t happen if I use Bluetooth from my phone or listen on the Amazon Echo (which seems to piggyback on the new BBC Sounds app.)

Please, please Naim, sort this out asap as we would have to ditch the Qb if we couldn’t use it as a radio (mostly listening to R4).

I spoke to Naim support again earlier, this is now being actively investigated. They suspect something changed at the BBC end of the stream although I can open the R4 HLS URL in a browser which I think is what the streamers ultimately connect to and there are no problems. I’ll update this thread with any new info.

I suspect a large proportion of Qb owners are R4 listeners so let’s hope we get a prompt fix.

Same here (Radio 4). I had thought I had cured it yesterday after going into the wifi setup and setting up the wifi connection again and also rebooting. After which it seemd OK but it is now just as bad again.

Hi All,

Have been investigating this issue and VTuner has an issue with their server for this station. The content directory is corrupt for this station, which annoys the products when it tries to automatically return to that part of the VTuner directory on station tune.

I have informed VTuner of the problem and a fix should be coming very soon. They are normally very responsive on such matters.

I’ll post back when the problem is resolved. Apologies for the inconvenience that this is causing.

With regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

2 Likes

I see Steve Harris has identified the problem at the bottom of this thread so my post here is probably not required. On the other hand maybe there is some new indie in the below?

Hi

I’ve two Naim Muso devices in my Kitchen - A Muso and a Qube

Both are connected to Ethernet via Powerline Ethernet - No WiFi is used.

Both have been working absolutely fine until a couple of days ago when I noticed some strange behaviour around BBC Radio 4 HD. I had this station configured as a preset in the Naim App and I use this station a lot.

The first weirdness was when Radio 4 HD disappeared from the Naim App Preset.

The second level of weirdness was when I noticed when streaming BBC Radio 4 that the station would sort of drop out and then come back - Sometimes sections of the speech would repeat sort of randomly. Happens on both the Muso and the Qube.

So I’ve tried deleting and resetting the Naim App on my iPhone sand IPad.

Resetting the App.

Hard resetting Both Naim Devices using the paper clip.

Here’s the really weird part - Now when I try to select BBC Radio 4 in the Naim app - the app just hangs there - It shows multiple (6) icons for BBC Radio 4 but the text underneath the icons just hangs and shows “Loading…” after about 1 minute the app screen flips back to the main Internet Radio screen.

All other stations seem to work OK including Radio 4 HD LW. And all the other BBC stations and everything else works. Everything apart from the one blumin thing that I want to listen too.

Help!

Could it be that the BBC have changed something in the BBC Radio 4 FM steam that the App or the Muso / Qube is somehow no longer understanding?

Get Outlook for iOSP

Radio 4 HLS stream has been unlistenable for several days now, on Mu-So, QB (wi-fi) and NDS (wired) so I’m glad to hear it’s not just me. It’s not the first time this has happened. I emailed Naim support 2 days ago and have not heard anything back yet, other than that it’s been passed to head office for further assessment. Thank goodness we’ve still got several FM and DAB radios dotted around the house so we can keep up with the current news on Brexit! It’s good to hear from Steve Harris on here that the problem has been identified and I hope we get it resolved soon.

Yes been having exactly the same problem since the weekend. Have also reset app and Muso. Now I cannot access Radio 4 at all. Same issue whether wired or wireless. Resorted to using bluetooth from phone to overcome.
Also have a Linn Sneaky, no issues accessing Radio 4 through that.
Although not ideal, Radio 4LW can be set.

Yes this is what I get too. It’s not you or your equipment at all. Reads Stevesky’s post and just be patient. It will get sorted out by Vtuner soon I’m sure.

Best
David

Hi,

Just as a follow up - VTuner have confirmed that there is an issue on their side and are actively working on the fix. I’ll post as soon as I’ve heard that they’ve fixed it and we’ve given it a check over.

Regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. The problem continues today. But at least that is an excuse to turn the radio off and dispel the rabid brekshitters.

Looks like it’s now fixed. Radio 4 back to normal here.

Same here, but not counting chickens until Stevesky sez so

Mine seems to be fixed as well.

BBC Radio 4 HD seems now to be working on both the Mu-so and the Mu-so Qb.

I’ve not listened for any extended period as yet to see if the dropout issue is fixed but first impressions are that things are back to normal.

Cheers

Colin Rhodes

Hi Gents,

As some of you have discovered, the fix from VTuner for Radio 4 went live earlier. We were just doing some extra sanity checks that it hadn’t caused other side-affects.

If your system is still having problems accessing Radio 4 do the following:

Muso / Qb users - press and hold the standby button on the top volume control until the 12oClock segment lights up. Wait 5secs then do a short press of the standby button to turn the product on. The product will then restart the streaming module and within 1 minute will be back on the network.

Classic Streamers / Green screen Uniti - turn the product off using the rear panel switch (or via the external PSU power switch), wait 10 secs, then turn product back on again.

Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

With regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

3 Likes

Hi, I am having the same issues with BBC HLS internet radio as mentioned above. I have a mu-so and mu-so qb. Both are up to date with regards to firmware and this drop out problem seems to have started following the last firmware update, which I did mid March. I initially thought it was an issue with my WiFi but I do not have any problems with my streaming on my Bluesound Node 2i and after ruling out WiFi I went on line and found this issue. I have spoken to Naim customer support and they are not aware of this issue but have given me an incident number. My wife listens to Radio 2 and there are so many drop outs that she has stopped using the mu-so. I listened to Radio 4 today and again experience dropouts. I don’t seem to suffer drop outs on other stations such as radio paradise. The purpose of this post is to see if anyone else is experiencing similar problems or do they know of a solution. Both pieces of kit have been reset but that has failed to resolve the problem. Any ideas gratefully received.

Welcome Keith,

Yep, me too. It’s only cut out once this afternoon but I can see buffer keeps dropping to 0%. It looks like the problem has returned.

(Another) Keith

YESI haven’t been able to get music for some time now, how do I reboot the system?