BD player to rival Oppo?

None of this surprises me. I had a Denon DBT-3313UD BRD transport which didn’t support 4K. And yet, on my 55" Sony 4K it trounced (absolutely and thoroughly) 4K content from Amazon Prime and Netflix. Just in the same way a high resolution CCD in your phone’s camera doesn’t bring it close to a large lense digital SLR, neither does sheet resolution equal the best picture.

I’d say if you are in the market for a great BRD player, now that Denon left the market, a top of the line Panasonic or even better, a Pioneer are the way to go. I had Sony ones in the past but the software is just awful and slow and annoying.

1 Like

I appreciate the thought, but you’re two days too late for that piece of advice!

Mark

In that case, the software was brilliant. :sweat_smile:

In fairness though, you’ve already got the Sony TV so I know you experience it’s annoying bootup performance. Compared to the TVs, the Sony BDP will probably seem flawless. Certainly the picture quality is very good.

Both TV and BDP boot up in a couple of seconds, so no complaints there.

Mark

I have a 65 inch LG C9, and I plan on buying the new Xbox which should be out for Christmas. These are supposed to play 4K disc’s, hopefully.

I have a Pioneer on order, but there is a shortfall in manufacturing at the moment.

Though possibly not for Japan, been told I will get it in time for Christmas :christmas_tree:

Wondering if there is any need for a :tv: TV, I have space constraints but with an Apple TV, a sat dish and Blu Ray player, why not get a 4 K monitor ?

Indeed. I think the picture quality on most monitors outdoes a TV. Especially high end monitors like Eizo. The problem size. Most monitors don’t come in 60" 4K.

1 Like

Just replaced my Oppo 205 with a Panasonic 9000. Lovely performance and nicely made not to mention at at £850.00 I had £1000 in the bank from the sale of the 205. How often does that happen when selling AV equipment?

4 Likes

No word on my Pioneer being delivered, your Panasonic sounds good ( well. I hope it sounds good) .

Think it’s between Pioneer and Panasonic , I just liked the look :eyes: of the Pioneer more.

Nice looking unit - can it play SACD or DVD-A like the Oppo can?

Certainly no to sacd.

Matters not as I just use it for the odd video. Most of what the Oppo could do was frankly wasted on me so at least it’s with someone who can enjoy it. Ultra films will be an interesting comparison as the Oppo was OTTC and just too real - there is a limit or perhaps my age is telling! At least the Panasonic doesn’t look like a breeze block on the shelf and will be easier to dust!

I had the Oppo 205 and Panasonic 9000 and choose the Panasonic for both Audio and picture quality. The Panasonic upscaling is very good if you need to upscale from BR to 4K. the audio was a surprise and disappointment as I did until recently use analogue out and the very limited Panasonic was better (they dont even tell you where the crossover is for ‘small’ for example. I have a calibrated Lumagen and still choose to scale using the Pansonic, tis might change with the latest Lumagen software release with revised scaling

Yeah, the 9000 is good.

Have played the Panasonic a few times now and to these eyes there’s little to nothing between this and my recently sold Oppo 205. OK, the Oppo has more toys on board but Naim does my streaming and I don’t have home cinema these days. Less speakers including a sub in the room really does improve the performance of good old stereo.

Picked up the Pioneer yesterday from Audio T, it was an ex demo.

They can’t tell me when they will receive a new one. The Pioneer is clearly a class above my old Okyno
and I gave it a run out with a Harry Potter film. That was on DVD . The sound was exceptional .

It is very good, will try with some audio books , Blu Ray , SACD perhaps some concerts and will give an update.

1 Like

Which Pioneer model did you buy?

UDP LX 500, bought it on the Tuesday, it stopped working on the Wednesday - as indeed did the UnitQute that sits in rack below it.

Took ages but got the UnitiQute to work and gave up on the Pioneer. A job for today.

Ouch.

Yes, it seems on the remote there is a “ Doomsday” button that closes all the video side down .

It’s a big , hefty machine and my incisional hernias were not looking forward to returning it.

Now working ok :+1:, will put a Chord digital cable into the UnitiQute to act as DAC

1 Like