Beatles Red & Blue Compilation refresh

That’s irrelevant. It’s still a money-grab.

Totally unnecessary. They were remastered very well by Abbey Road studios in 1993.

Edit - Oh I forget, they were excellently remastered in 2009/2010 too !!!

I am very happy to buy them.

You don’t have to.

People buy records all the time. If modern technology means that pressing plants can produce better records than ever before, I’m not complaining.

And, although I’m a massive Beatles fan, I have never bought either of these compilations before.

I suspect that there may be quite a few younger people buying these who have never heard The Beatles on LP in their lives.

Your talk of a ‘money grab’ is way off the mark!

Dear, dear, what strange views here!

2 Likes

@YetiZone, regarding the CD release, what is the difference between the red and blue covers?
Is it just different tracks or something else too?
Forgive my ignorance here. :grimacing:
Must admit I’m tempted to purchase the CD box set.

They cover different periods. Red is 1962-66, blue is 1967-70.

1 Like

@MrDom Exactly as Clive mentions, the Red covers the early Beatles output, the Blue their later work.

Also worth noting, there is one advantage to this new CD release over the vinyl edition. The new additional tracks (over the original Red & Blue compilations) are in a more representative chronological order on the CD, whereas on the vinyl issues they are just tagged on the third disc. There’s more over on Super Deluxe Edition website where he does an unboxing…

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 13.27.11

2 Likes

Thanks for that :+1:

Can’t find these refreshed versions on qobuz anyone else seeing them on streaming platforms?

Amazon hd has them.

1 Like

They are on Qobuz, search Beatles and you will find them. They didn’t appear under new releases.

Ah, yes they are on Qobuz, just not showing on Roon for some reason. Irritating

and @YetiZone, I never realised or contemplated until today that The Beatles complete studio albums we’re recorded over a seven year period.
Now, I’m not exactly a Beatles fan but I have to say that’s incredible considering the material.

3 Likes

I thought I’d try and put my prejudices aside and listen ( stream) the 2023 Beatles red and blue. I listened as much as I could, really, I did. They just sound over boosted in all the wrong ways. Ringo sounds as though he’s playing a drum machine with the hi hats turned to max. Everything is so boosted that for the first time my 552/300DR sounds fatiguing. The red album is particularly bad but I guess that’s because of the original recordings. The Blue set is not as bad but the drive from Back in the USSR has gone, and even Billy Preston can’t save the dire mix of Get Back. They are both ( red and blue) so fatiguing that I haven’t been able to keep them on. I have now been listening to the streamed 2009 remixes of the Blue set. Down to track 22 and my ears are still happy.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Bruss. About ten minutes ago I was hovering over the buy button on the high Res Audio site - think I’ll just plunge for the CD set when I see it reduced somewhere!

Try and stream them if you can and have a listen. We all hear things differently, but my overall impression is of fatigue inducing sound.

The Roon measured dynamic range of Red is 3 and Blue is 4. Very low. Not an expert at all but isn’t this level of compression likely to be fatiguing?

I’m not familiar with the way compressed files affect the sound but that may be an effect of taking the original recordings and manipulating them for the remix. There are sound engineers on here that could comment.

And now the generally flatter sounding original Red , streamed from the same source. Slightly echoey, but no fatigue.

1 Like

I think I’ll be purchasing the first 4-5 studio albums of theirs from the 2009 remasters (stereo) CDs to add to the ones I already have.
Can get them at good prices, sealed on Discogs.

1 Like