Beethoven Symphony recommendations

Like others, I particularly enjoy Harnoncourt and the COE, my choice if looking for a complete cycle. But then I don’t fully concur with your dismissal of Norrington and the LCP. Although he would not be my choice for a complete cycle, the storm movement of his Pastoral has a ferocity available nowhere else and is I suspect close to what Beethoven intended. I’m a fan of his Symphonie Fantastique too.

If you want a really new recording of No 5, you might try the version by Currentzis and MusicaAeterna. He’s a conductor very much in vogue at the moment. Personally, although I’ve tried very hard to like this performance which is gathering lots of good reviews, it comes across as relentless and rather heartless. In fact he reminds me a bit of Karajan of whom I’m not a fan, but as you are, you might find it worth trying.

Roger

1 Like

PNG image PNG image 2 !
PNG image 3

I have enjoyed each of these very much.

4 Likes

I had the pleasure of seeing him Fischer with Budapest Festival Orchestra pre lockdown, playing Dvorak. Wonderful concert.

Perhaps a bit out of kilter with the forum trend but i found the Karajan Beethoven synths bland and uninspiring :sleeping:

My three vinyl boxsets of Ludwig’s 9 include a Karl Bohm, a Kurt Masur, and perhaps the most persuasive being with Otto Klemperer. But all have their endearingly warm and emotive points of good musical order.

However, one of my most guilty pleasurable Ludwig Van symphs is the Krips + LSO version which kind of does what is say on the tin :joy:

4 Likes

IF you love the big band sound of the 80’s Karajan then Barenboim/Berlin Staatskapellepelle is the one to go for. The Fischer recording are also excellent. For an all-round recommendation the Hanoncourt/COE is still my favourite ( and yes I own and listen to all the above and a few more for good measure)

Thanks again for more listening! For what it’s worth, I’m still proving difficult to please but I might be getting close to a shortlist (in bold):

• Barenboim/SK Berlin: First movement of Eroica far too slow, Allegretto of 7 not much better. Finale of 7 a bit ramshackle for my liking. Shame, because I tend to like Barenboim’s piano work.
  • Currentzis/MA: wow, that sounds huge. I wonder what he’d do with 7? I’ll watch out for more from this person.
  • Zinman/ZTH: Hmmm, actually pretty much what I was after. Just the Finale of 7 sounding a bit flabby. I might return to this one.
  • Jansons/BRSO: Also pretty good and worth returning to.
  • @Debs: are you sure that’s not a tin of cigars from the 1930s?

As for Celibdache, Furtwangler, Toscanini et al, may I refer you to the comments I’ve made twice now about only being interested in recent recordings? I’m sure they’re all great, but I promise you I’m quite certain I want something more recent just at the moment.

@PeakMan Thanks for the HIPP suggestions, but I’ve had another listen and they’re definitely not for me, though I’m glad someone loves them! Norrington’s Berlioz doesn’t do it for me either - I’m afraid I just can’t stop laughing when the trombones start farting away 1:45 into the March to the Scaffold. Apologies for not being able to see the beauty in it that you clearly do. Horses for courses and all that.

Mark

2 Likes

I have this box set recommended to me by George Friedrik a few years ago. Bless him wherever he is.

“This set not only includes the symphonies (with both versions of Nos 3 and 5 and all three of No 7) but also nine of the Overtures (with duplicate versions) and extracts from the Incidental music to Egmont and the ballet The Creatures of Prometheus. Although these recordings have been available in various couplings, this is the first time that a comprehensive collection of Beethoven’s solo orchestral work conducted by Otto Klemperer has been made.”

2 Likes

Solti’s 9th (Chicago) has sonics to rival any modern recording. Artistically, it’s also the one I’m constantly drawn back to. Highly recommended here.

2 Likes

I agree, I have tried to like Karajan, but I can’t.

1 Like

My favourite 9th is from Hans Schmidt Isserstedt with the Vienna Philharmonic from 1965. The final movement is the best I have heard. I first bought this on LP in 1975 and tracked it down on CD some years ago. The cast is Sutherland/Horne/King/Talvela and the final movement is exceptional. Well worth seeking out.

2 Likes

Andrew Manze, in a recent recording of 5 & 7 is surprisingly good! Apart from that, my favorite set is Haitink’s 80s cycle with the Concertgebouw. A good cycle is all about the tempi, and a too-fast #7 is a deal spoiler for me.

Cheers
EJ

I recently found a cassette recording of CD Review from BBC Radio 3 when recordings of the Eroica symphony were being evaluated. The reviewer ultimately preferred Harnoncourt, but on the way he played Gardiner, which sounded most refreshing to my ears. I purchased the box set of all nine and particularly enjoy his versions of 1, 2, 3 and 7.

image on vinyl

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.