Benefits from the Naim forum

I’m surprised this hasn’t received more attention. It can be a real bugger, sometimes.

7 Likes

Are you referring to problems with the bank balance…i can understand this instability after a few recent Naim purchases

3 Likes

Exactly, I have determined that I will stop at NDX2/SN3/Kudos Titan 606 and be very satisfied. I will scratch any future itches away from Naim - no need to spend a fortune on separates and power supplies!

If I was tempted by the ‘NAIM aspirational route’ I would have to accept dissatisfaction until I reached statement level, have sold my house to fund it and then wonder what was next! Not for me!!

5 Likes

Sounds as if you have predetermined your assessment of the potential of incremental upgrades without listening to them…

1 Like

I’ve been in the ‘Naim’ family for about 15 years - starting with a CD5, to an X series system, and now virtually mid range with CDS3/555ps/282/250DR etc. but a recent newcomer to the forum. I currently feel experienced enough to offer honest advice, but still green enough to seek opinion and guidance from those in a more advanced position. The external view of this place can sometimes be that it is well-heeled, biased, and arrogant but my experience so far is exactly the opposite!!! A valuable source of knowledge, guidance, and friendly warmth!! Not to mention the ‘Best Jokes’ page… :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I have to bear in mind my available money now and what is likely in the future, and cannot afford the Naim separates route (I won’t consider pre-owned). That is why if I ever found myself wanting/needing more I would turn to another brand for a DAC perhaps.

Should circumstances change and I found myself to be wealthy then I would certainly pursue a 500 system as a minimum.

2 Likes

Very surprised, but understand why you wouldn’t buy used equipment. My entire current, and previous, systems have all been pre loved and apart from the serial number are indistinguishable from new. With research and patience I’ve found the right items at the right price that I could sell on today at no financial loss.
With regards to your current system, I would suggest asking your local friendly dealer to borrow a HiCap just to appreciate the noticeable difference a separate power supply can make, but fear you would then blame me for giving you what we call the potentially incurable ‘upgrade bug’…
At the end of the day we spend our money on these black boxes to enjoy the music, and if you’re enjoying the music then there is no logical reason to upgrade anything, just sit back and wallow in sonic heaven!!!

3 Likes

I have been a Naim forumite for longer than I care to mention.

Originally I came on here to seek advice and information based on the experience of Naimees, but always with the ‘try before you buy’ mantra in the back of my mind. I also used to come on here for inspiration for new music, or music new to me I should say.

Since those early days, both my system and music collection have grown. I can honestly say I have never enjoyed music so much as I do now, the combination of a great system and a wonderful music collection. I must also say this forum played a significant part in that, backed up by wonderful dealers, totally dedicated to Naim and delighting their customers through a shared love of great music in the home.

Now I feel I have the experience and knowledge to offer advice to those who maybe earlier in their Naim journey or who might be experiencing problems I can identify with. I try to give a little back where I can and hopefully lighten the mood, but I accept my sense of humour might occasionally let me down.

I do think that last point is important though. This place must be informative but it should also be interesting, amusing and dare I say it, entertaining. We are blessed with some characters on here, and it is fascinating to get to know them in a virtual sense. It is even more fascinating to meet them in the flesh, as it has been my pleasure to do so at Naim HQ get-togethers.

My wife says I ‘spend far too much time on here with my nerdy buddies’, as she so rudely refers to us. She is probably right, but I, mostly, enjoy being part of this forum. When people do get over-excited, there is our wonderful moderator, Richard, who always seems to find precisely the right form of words to calm the fighting in the playground.

I also like the fact that Naim tolerate so much discussion on the forum about competitor brands and also tolerate rather harsh (and to me in many instances, unfair) criticism of themselves. It shows a Company and a management team who are confident (but not overly) in the capabilities of their brand and comfortable in their own skin, doing things their way. Having said this I remember many instances where Naim have listened to conversations on here and have responded with real positive change. When we were at the recent Naim HQ bash, Charlie was genuinely ‘all ears’, and strikes be as a MD who actually listens to his customers.

The fact this place is so vibrant, debates so many topics and has so many knowledgable members, are the reason for its success, IMHO, and long may it last.

21 Likes

To be fair, you are well short of some in the “nerdy” camp :joy::joy::shushing_face:

2 Likes

My wife does not distinguish. We are all nerds to her.

5 Likes

Certainly the new Discourse software forum is much more active and dynamic than the previous iteration.

It’s been a great addition to my hifi and musical progression since 2004 (my God that’s 15 bloody years, did I miss the starting gun?).

I am rather fond of here and PFM and would certainly miss it if it were not here. Richard does a great job for the late teenies but I do miss some of the “more direct” moderation style of @Adam.Meredith who didn’t suffer fools.

.sjb

1 Like

This sums it up really nicely for me. I try to help people where I can and it’s always good when one’s suggestions work out. There appears to be a few more people recently who seem to be argumentative and negative almost for the sake of it, which can sour the supportive atmosphere, and a level of obsession in some that it probably not entirely healthy. It’s a challenge for new people to work out whose advice might be worth considering and whose is best passed over. The most important thing is that everyone should be treated equally and without condescension, regardless of what they own and how long they have been owners, but also that people consider ideas and not dismiss them out of hand, which can rather too often be the case.

The Music Room is, or should be, the best room here. I don’t contribute enough there and must try harder. It’s tricky though, beyond posting pictures of whatever I’m listening to. I do try to post pictures of new albums or those that others might find interesting. I struggle to see how posting that you are listening to Dark Side of the Moon for the millionth time and getting 100 likes really helps anyone to expand their musical horizons but hey, that’s just my view.

That said, the positives far outweigh the negatives and I’ve met some really lovely people though the Forum, and discovered some great music, which is what it’s all about.

7 Likes

Totally agree. Although the forum has been helpful with pointers and ideas - indeed I might never have auditioned Shahinian loudspeakers without it, and they have considerably enhanced my listening pleasure - the biggest bonus for me has been meeting some lovely people as a result of contacts made through the forum.

3 Likes

The “Padded Cell” is worth a visit, and is well named.

How fondly I remember those heated, borderline sweary keyboard battles about the vital topic of whether or not Quantum Physics gave an accurate explanation for the existence of the universe.

Essential stuff!

3 Likes

You’re a naughty lad @Dirkdiction :wink: Trying to lead me into temptation! I do fully agree that £1.5k for hi amp would bring improvements but would it be enough? The XPS DR (£4K) would be better but still I would know that the 555PS is better still. If I entered the multi box trail I would not be content because the final goal would have to be all 500 series.

My decision to stick to single boxes is based on knowing myself. I have pitched in at the top single box streamer and top integrated amp. I couldn’t settle on the ND5 XS2 and XS2 because I knew there was better to be had.

I would not be able to rest with separates knowing that there was better available until all 500s. Statements are sufficiently elevated to be the toys of kings so way out of my reach.

I must also consider my listening space and room interaction - there is no way that I could eke the best performance from a 500 system. It would be overkill for me.

I am very content with my system, love trying new music as seen on the ‘what are you listening to…’ thread. The forum members are very helpful, I have learnt a lot,

I am one happy and content individual and loving my music!

Many thanks to all on the forums, sometimes the best conclusions can be constraint!

5 Likes

For me, it’s not a question of money, but rather a matter of conscience…

“The world has enough for everyone’s need, but not enough for everyone’s greed.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

3 Likes

I agree totally especially in the area of wires. However, for the most part this is an excellent and well run forum and @Richard.Dane does a splendid job as moderator.

3 Likes

…one of the main benefits for me has been the search feature.

To be honest when I first joined and posted questions I wanted the shortest route to the right answer. Many folks recommended searching and reading which was not what I wanted. However, following the advice of many I soon discovered there were pearls of wisdom buried in the threads which sometimes went in circles before the information finally made itself clear. As time has passed and knowledge has been gained regarding NAIM the learning curve has shortened and on occasion I can make a contribution in response to someone’s question.

The “What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?” is my favorite continuous thread and has exposed me to many new artists.

…and of course the generous support of so many people who make it a nice place to visit and easy to continue to come back and hang out for part of the day.

Life is Grand!

9 Likes

Great people friendly advice has helped me allot…I like giving a little back when I can…great guys… cheers to you all…fnx

5 Likes

… learning about British humour and funny terms for audio like full fat, full loom, mains lead etc…

5 Likes