Benefits of Wall Socket for Amps

Came here to say exactly this. The Audioquest PowerQuest 2 is a clear improvement over plugging directly into the wall. An inexpensive upgrade with my Supernait 3, HiCapDR and components.

Sometimes you don’t know, what you don’t know.

I have a spare Powerline that’s currently on my headphone amp. All the black boxes are on Powerlines to an Isotek Sirius power block, with a Sirius EVO3 Sequel cable to the wall socket.

Would the general consensus be to move the Powerline from the headphone to between the wall socket and the power block and put the Sequel on the headphone amp?

That is what i would do. I have a PL from socket to my G4 musicworks box.

1 Like

Just sweated and cursed and swapped it over and now warming it up again. Will report back later.

3 Likes

Any reasonable sized Amp/Power Amp should be plugged into a Separate wall socket of its own forget if’s and but’s this gives best performance.
It is unusual (Aust -sockets) for the L and R sides of Twin sockets to sound different when
swapped over unless the construction is not mirror imaged or the ratio of Brass/Copper
differs from L to R this is likely the case if you open it up, so best to change brand as it is
audible to you. With Both sockets in use with a Twin socket there will be a Slightly less
good Bass or Image performance than with 2 single sockets it is not much but as you notice
the L/R difference above this would be audible to you.

Yes Mike, the power cable to the wall is the most important. My opinion, but not only me.

1 Like

I always value your opinion @frenchrooster. It sounds very good to me, the usual cleaner, lower noise floor - the top end sparkle stands out :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Whilst I have no experience of such, a 3 way socket with no switches or extra fuse may be even better?

I’ve never seen a UK 3-way socket without a fuse before. Where did you find it, if you don’t mind me asking?

It’s the plug that has the fuse, not the socket.

You can obtain switched and unswitched sockets though.

In the case of a 3 gang socket, as I understand the regs, one outlet should be fused.
I’ll have a dig into it later & report back.

A lot say that the power amp direct to wall sound better. I would like to test, but have no wall socket left unfortunately.
But maybe you could try, all into Isotek and nap 250 dr into wall. We never know.

1 Like

Try buying a 3-gang socket and you’ll see that they are invariably fused unlike 1 or 2 gang sockets. The above seems to be an exception (assuming there isn’t a fuse hidden under the metal fascia) which aroused my curiosity.

Yes, I’m with you now, the maximum is 2 sockets without a fuse.

A search has found this as a LumoS Luxury Unswitched Silver Brushed Aluminium UK 13A Wall Plug Triple Socket.

The fuse covers all 3 sockets.

1 Like

Is it by any chance an obscure Chinese product with no UK approvals?

Yes as I thought, regs limit the socket numbers to two (2) per outlet point, the third socket is wired as a fused spur

1 Like

As I have a lot of black boxes, I use Wireworld strips, available from, and recommended by, Tom Tom Audio. Not cheap, but I think they are excellent.

Another strong vote for the Grahams* Hydra. But you need to work out in advance how many ‘heads’ to opt for, as these can’t easily be added later (although Grahams may be able, and prepared, to swap for a different Hydra for a charge). Grahams advise not to have spare (unused) heads, as these can pick up electrical signals microphonically (I think that was the explanation).

From recollection, they cost about as much as buying the equivalent number of single mains cords from Naim. So a great advance in the overall system sound quality for a comparatively small financial outlay.

I remember being told by Grahams, years ago, that the Hydra had Naim’s ‘unofficial’ approval. [Mr Dane may want to remove this last bit of info!]

Just don’t use the Hydra to power up other electrical components as well (for example - and to use a ridiculous idea - a toaster) as this will interfere with the musical signal.

Graham

*(Naim dealers in Islington, London. NOT related to me, other than as my London dealers.)

2 Likes

Giving it a go now @Gazza @frenchrooster - Powerline on 250 to wall socket. Another Powerline from a wall socket to the Powerboard and then Powerlines to the SC and 555PS. Sounds delightful, lots of dynamics and slam with clarity and a sparkly top end.

2 Likes