Best 2020 jazz albums

Found that list very interesting. Good choices and selection of the best jazz albums from Bandcamp. Some albums mentioned here appear, like Moses Boyd, Dynausor, Christian Scottā€¦and others worth to listen to.

2 Likes

Listen to Delvon Lamar. Jimmy Hendrix would be impressed by that solo guitar.

1 Like

If anyone cares, here is my list, as published in Jazzwise magazine:

NEW RELEASES

1 Lakecia Benjamin Pursuance: The Coltranes Ropeadope

2 Gary Bartz & Maisha Night Dreamer Direct-to-Disc Sessions Night Dreamer

3 Bill Laurance Trio Live At Ronnie Scottā€™s Flint Music

4 Wynton Marsalis/Jazz At Lincoln Centre Orchestra The Ever Fonky Lowdown Blue Engine

5 Jerry Granelli Trio Plays Vince Guaraldi & Mose Allison RareNoiseRecords

6 Carla Bley/Andy Sheppard/Steve Swallow Life Goes On ECM

7 Obradović-Tixier Duo ā€“ The Boiling Stories of a Smoking Kettle Naim Records

8 Ivar Gydland & Henry Kaiser ā€“ In the Arctic Dreamtime Rune Grammofon

9 Christian McBride Big Band For Jimmy, Wes and Oliver Mack Avenue

10 Rob Mazurek Exploding Star Orchestra Dimensional Stardust International Anthem/Nonesuch

REISSUES

1 Duke Ellington/Charlie Mingus/Max Roach Money Jungle Blue Note Tone Poet

2 Ella Fitzgerald Ella: The Lost Berlin Tapes Verve

3 Dave Brubeck Quartet Time OutTakes Brubeck Editions

4 Charles Tolliver/Music Inc & Orchestra Impact Strata-East/Pure Pleasure

5 Heshoo Beshoo Group Armitage Road We Are Busy Bodies

6 Charles Lloyd Quartet The Flowering Atlantic/Speakers Corner

7 Mike Westbrook ft John Surman Love and Understanding (Citadel/Room 315 Sweden '74) My Only Desire

8 Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ā€“ Just Coolinā€™ Blue Note

9 Nat King Cole Trio Straighten Up and Fly Right: The Best of Hittinā€™ The Ramp: The Early Years (1936ā€‹-ā€‹1943) Resonance Records

10 Hideto Sasaki-Toshiyuki Seking Quartet + 1 Stop Over BBE

To this list I would also add a number of albums others have mentioned ā€“ Maria Schneiderā€™s Data Lords (Jazzwise album of the year), the Dinosaur album, Christian McBrideā€™s The Movement Revisited, the Halsall album, Monkā€™s Palo Alto and Connect by Charles Tolliver.

8 Likes

The lists from Bandcamp, Jazzwise, The Guardian and members selections that have been posted on the forum illustrate just how wide, open and diverse the current ā€œjazzā€ scene is. Iā€™m finding it quite amazing how these lists differ in their best of year selections.
So much great music coming out despite these locked down times.
I suffer from the usual problem when trying to keep up and hear as much of this as possible, the numpty who thought putting only 24hrs in a day was a good idea!
With the lockdown announced yesterday, Iā€™m temporarily retiring my cab and positively going to immerse myself in as much of the music on these lists as is humanly possible.
Lock down and tune in
:heart:

2 Likes

Interesting selection there. Did you compile the list for Jazzwise?

Thanks! I did start a thread dedicated to the contemporary British Jazz scene and Jazz Re:freshed. Unfortunately it didnt seem to get much support other than your good self and a couple of others, and has expired, maybe it might be timely to ask @RichardDane if it could be reactivated?

:+1:

1 Like

Dread, the main ā€œalbums of the yearā€ list was compiled from individual lists from about 20 Jazzwise scribes and editors.

Cheers Kevster, have I misunderstood, I thought it was your list published by Jazzwise
:+1:

Love the funky ass sound of the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio.

1 Like

Yes, I like the intoxicating rythm and the organ sound. And the guitarist is awesome !

Iā€™m struggling to find Maria Schneider Data Lords.

I am listening now to Dinausor. Interesting. And very well recorded too.
My favourite track : Held by water.

1 Like

But your favourite is? Lakecia Benjamin ?

The most recent Delvon Lamaar I could find is this 2018 release (not played it yet)
20210105_165020

3 Likes

I have it. There is another one on pre order,

Itā€™s very near Booker T and the Mgā€™s from late 60ā€™s.

1 Like

A big thumbs up from me for that Gary Bartz and Maisha night dreamer direct to disc recording. It is my favourite of the year.

3 Likes

Hi Dread - itā€™s only available via a us artists collective thingy www.artistshare.com (soz canā€™t do the link) I think download only.

Worth a quick excerpt test play first as itā€™s pretty full on.

3 Likes

Cheers!

Time Out has long been a favourite album of mine and my Classic Records Vinyl pressing always gets a spin if evaluating any turntable upgrade.
Timeless music, Iā€™m just listening to this for the first time. These unreleased alternate takes dont sound like mere Studio floor cast offs and sound remarkably fresh and complete pieces. A wonderful take (pun intended) on the original album.
If you love Time Out youā€™ll be besotted with thisā€¦
20210105_173457

5 Likes

Not heard that one yet, but Maisha There Is A Place is worth a listen
20210105_173723

1 Like