Best 2020 jazz albums

I opened a new thread, to continue this one now in 2021.
See in the music thread, in « which JAZZ album are you listening… »

Theres already a Jazz thread why not just contribute to that?

Ah , i didn’t know. Will look at it.
Just tried to find it, but didn’t found. Which one?
Perhaps you are talking on the one I opened ? If yes, why not. But the subject was specifically best 2020 albums.

Jazz Music Thread

I checked. In fact I have muted that one a long time ago because >90% of the posts concern jazz from the 60’s.
I am more interested by nowadays jazz and new artists.
No problem, if no one post , I will close it.

Of course the Jazz Music Thread will only reflect the tastes of those that post on it.
I for one have regularly posted contemporary Jazz on that thread it just needs more like minded posters.
Its up to you of course, but dont you think it gets confusing having multiple threads on a similar subject? In my view surely more interesting to have a thread that reflects the broad spectrum of Jazz from King Oliver through to Nubya Garcia and beyond.
I tried to start a niche thread on Jazz Re:Freshed but it didnt work. As Gary Cosby of Tomorrows Warriors recently commented about not trying to play contemporary forward looking Jazz if you dont know your Charlie Parker.

Jazz Re:freshed for example has a policy of being open, inclusive and non elitist. Music should bring us togethor not divide us into pigeonholes controlled by Jazz police, no?

:heart:

Now I’ve read your post I’ve deleted my earlier post.

I’m sticking with the current Jazz thread.

Dave

2 Likes

Why? You made a good point in jest I believe.
For the reasons I opined I dont think its good to have divisive threads, I shall continue to support the existing Jazz thread.
Old to the new, each one teach one
:heart:

2 Likes

If I might offer a suggestion…
If anyone is familiar (or not) with the original Straight No Chaser Magazine (From World Jazz Jive to Interplanetary Sounds : Ancient To Future – 1988 – 2009)
A thread inspired by that could be good.
A fairly broad minded coverage of non mainstream “black” music. It brought together a lot of forward looking Jazz and Jazz influenced music along with all manner of dance, latin,african, reggae and world flavours inclusively.
The kind of stuff you might hear on Giles Petersons show (he was a contributor)

Check this link

It’s just a matter of interest Dreadatthcontrols. No division in my mind.
My tastes cover jazz from 1969 to nowadays. But I never listen jazz from the 40’s, 50’s, or 60’s. Just not in my interest. Nothing more.
I want today to discover new albums, artists, currents, innovation in jazz music. So the reason I don’t follow What you are listening thread , where the same Beatles, Dire Straits or Led Zeppelin are continuously posted.
Neither want to read always Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Hank Mobley or Monk.
But each persons has his interests. No problem for that.

OK - I have commented on your new thread, but I see what you are getting at. However, I still think there will be a loss of focus with multiple threads. In any case your thread asking what jazz recordings people have discovered is just as likely to throw up a posting about a pre-1969 recording as something more contemporary.

I’m not trying to be funny with you @frenchrooster I’m just curious, why the 1969 cut off?

Can you suggest me a different title ? I don’t know how really to write, and my English is limited. But I agree, a better title, pointing nowadays jazz would be better.

I made a suggestion above fwiw, maybe broaden it out a bit so it’s not just another take on a Jazz thread?
You kindly mentioned before the Jazz Re:Freshed thread that I started but it didnt work out, only one or two people posted on it and it expired. Similarly The Reggae Thread, I’ve tried to keep that going but, pardon the pun, it’s really ended up an echo chamber for my own posts.
I really think it could be a good idea to bring it all together along the lines of the Straight No Chaser suggestion above.

Only after 1968/ 1969, with the help principally of Miles Davis, or people like Gato Barbieri, and some others, jazz opened to new forms, influences, trends, instruments, …incorporating rock, african, Caribbean, Indian…music.
It was a great departure with albums like In a Silent Way for example.

Not trying to push an agenda, but from what you’ve just said Straight No Chaser would have been right up your street.

Sorry - this discussion is getting split and it was my fault.

I like the idea of having a less straitjacketed version of modern jazz - I think I used to look at Straight no Chaser a long time ago. However, musical styles have proliferated even further since then and it is difficult to define a thread topic.

I did think of electric Miles as a reason for starting in 1969ish. However, I wonder FR if you really want to discuss contemporary records that people are buying now.

I didn’t understood why you wonder if I really want to discuss contemporary jazz?
I enjoyed a lot the Dreadatthcontols thread on Jazz Refreshed. It’s more the jazz I like to discover, even if I don’t share all the albums in it.

Straight no chaser is a classic. But I would say it’s nearer jazz bop.

Conceived as a magazine of “world Jazz Jive” that was attuned to the “Freedom Principle”, Straight No Chaser rejected boundaries, was devoted those musicians who created the foundation of what we have today, and welcomed the spirit of the new.

That meant that jazz, jungle, funk, acid jazz, mbalax, samba, salsa, merengue, soukous, hip hop, rai, nu-jazz, trip hop, ska, reggae, mento, mambo, rumba, gnawa, garifuna, afro bloco, chimurenga, cumbia, vodoun, afrobeat, deep house, bruk beat … amongst others… sat side by side. It was a heady but exciting mix that never failed to thrill when it came together.