Best bang for buck upgrade to my system. Advice please

Hi there,

I have:
Cambridge CXC CD Transport with a Prism Lyra 2 DAC,
NAC122X and NAP150x,
B&W 704 Speakers.

In your opinion what is the weak spot in this system? I’m getting advice to the effect that it’s the NAP150x Poweramp and want a second opion.

Thank you I would be very grateful xx

See if you can demo a used 250 in that set up. V good value esp olive series. You’d hear a v big difference I think.

1 Like

You could consider adding a Naim power supply, for example, a FlatCap 2X.

Info from Naim;

• The Flatcap 2x is an external power supply that replaces the Flatcap2. The improvements to sound quality are subtle but significant: dynamics are more even across the audio band, bass lines are more easily differentiated and the system noise floor is reduced.
  • The performance improvements are even more obvious when powering a pre-amplifier and CD player at the same time.

This should provide a nice upgrade.

DG…

2 Likes

The 150x is the natural partner to the 122x and the general consensus is to upgrade the preamp prior to the power amp. I wonder if the advice is that the power supply in the 150x is the weakness and to upgrade this for a flat cap 2x to power the preamp. My first naim amp system was 122x/150x/fc2.

Alternatively sell the 122x and 150x and get a Supernait 2 (Introduced 2012 I think) especially if the 122x and 150x have never been serviced. As these models will be around 12 to 15 years old and you will have the same service issues when purchasing the flatcap.

4 Likes

As @Adrian-Glasgow says a 250 will make a big difference. I would go 82 HiCap 250. All Olive or Chrome Bumper HiCap and CB 250. Get them serviced and your amplification will be top notch. Looking at £2500 and then you can sell your current pre and power amp.

If on a budget consider a 72 instead of 82 which has no remote.

1 Like

Hi and welcome,

I don’t know your CD/DAC but assuming it’s of a reasonable standard I’d look at your amps. Similarly I don’t know your speakers but if they’re not too demanding I’d look at the pre first. You’re power amp can power both a 202 and 282 so I’d start there depending on your budget. 2nd hand deals are out there. The 282/150 works surprisingly well together.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

@Adrian-Glasgow the OP would need a PSU if he went for a 250. A 200 would work.

1 Like

Thank you.

Many thanks.

Helpful. Thank you.

Thank you.

Much appreciated.

Helpful. Thank you.

Upon further thought a 200 power amp may be the best bang for buck. Better power supply for pre amp and better power amp. Which then leaves the door open for the 282 or a 272 which could be the best value for money in the secondhand Naim market when the successor is finally released.

1 Like

Look for a used CD5X and maybe a Flatcap X. I changed a VERY expensive DAC for this after I bought the combo to flip on eBay…

Everyone who heard it was more impressed than they ever have been with my current set up!

1 Like

I wouldn’t go for a Flatcap. Go for a Hicap and then later go for a nap 250 to replace the 150. I have been along this path and I really would skip the FC and the nap 200. What you have is good. A big step is required to better it. Previously owned prices will get you there.

1 Like

Used CDX2?

1 Like

Ok this sounds interesting. Seems a bit modest too and I don’t have much cash to splash. Thank you.

Thanks Steve. I did have a CD5X. The Prism Lyra is quite a cheeky addition of mine - it’s from the Pro Audio market.

Hi, I suspect the advice to upgrade your power amp is based on the fact that your speakers like plenty of power from the amp if it’s to drive them well, and in that respect it’s good advice. However, the advice you’ve received here that you should concentrate on the preamp is also good because the two parts work together and running a better power amp with a lower spec pre is rarely successful in the Naim world. So be prepared to upgrade both, and do the preamp first, would be my suggestion.

The other consideration is how committed are you to those speakers, and how sure are you that they are a good match for your room acoustics, and for your personal tastes? This consideration trumps pretty much all others in my experience, and you may find that changing the speaker to some that are easy to drive is a better solution. If you’re looking on the used, or even ex-demo market, speakers seem to depreciate rather a lot, so this may be an affordable option.

1 Like