Best bass in my collection: Genesis - The Lamb 1st UK press

I know. It’s shocking.

Who?

Heaven knows you’re miserable now, HH.

4 Likes

I suppose you just couldn’t hack it HH :rofl:

I think I mentioned some time ago that I dislike many album covers with guitar players looking as though they’re about to climax as they earnestly tug their strings.

Very strange how some things work for us muscially and visually whereas others don’t.

1 Like

What difference does it make? :wink:

1 Like

Did you ever listen to Gene?

Listening to some Smiths now interestingly and I think there are similarities especially the Olympian album which was brilliant.

:blush:
I never got them esp early stuff apart from A Trick of the Tail, then not so long ago stumbled across Wind and Wuthering, and realised that a bit of track 1 Eleventh Earl of Mar was the bit that Alan Freeman used to use as a link on his Saturday Rock Show, and that was the in for me. Not mad on them but can certainly put a whole album on.

Lamb is virgin territory; about to change. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: it scared the cat off inside 2 minutes…

1 Like

I saw Kyle Eastwood the day of the royal wedding of Will & Kate. Bl**dy hell, that was bass-heavy, and to be frank, the balance rather spoiled the experience.

Methinks it’s time to re-visit three albums I have of his, where as I recall, the bass is toned down somewhat!

Though I’ve posted elsewhere on the subject, if you want bass, go no further than Max Richter’s ‘The Inexorable Advance of Mr Delaney’. About 135° clockwise on the volume control should make your ears bleed.

Olympian album? Pray tell.

Gene’s Olympian:

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 21.50.12

I think there are similarities but both quite unique.

To try to avoid anything else developing… I think Lamb is Genesis’s best album by far. A frequent player for me, but unless you can feel those bass pedal notes you’re missing something.

The band were a good example of development of creative art, reaching a pinnacle with that album, then disintegrated, and none of them as far as I have heard has done as well since. That hapoens with so many other bands, sometime by some happy mixture it is the first album (e.g. King Crimson) and occasionally bands may peak more than once (e.g. for me, Pink Floyd (several albums) and the Who (Tommy and Who’s Next)).

As for what albums have the best bass, it’s not something I’ve ever considered.

3 Likes

My dear old Mum used to say to me “ if you don’t have anything nice to say then say nothing”.

2 Likes

concept album but “fly on the windshield” makes nice use of the taurus pedals

1 Like

i’m sorry this happened to you

they’re fine, different mixes which is good for some while others prefer the originals

i like the difference personally for diversity’s sake and the refreshment

1 Like

you said that already

not suitable for cats; sorry, should have qualified

1 Like

what he said!

just got a new P8 and the house shook sooooo there’s that
very warm and fat like a giant stress ball

As most on here know, I’m a big Genesis fan - especially the early stuff; Trespass, Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot would be three LPs I would save from any fire. And contrary to some, I’ve really enjoyed the recent vinyl reissues in spite of (or perhaps even because of?) the remixes. They have given a fresh but still familiar polish to well known and well loved music.

Lamb bass is great, but it’s hard to beat that Moog Taurus bass pedal on Squonk - huge! I thought the MFSL LP was great here, but the remaster might even beat it.

4 Likes

He’s played there before and went down a storm. Sadly he didn’t stay around to play with Fairport the next night. He’s back in 2021, they managed to get the whole 2020 lineup to come back next year.

2 Likes