Best cartridge choice for a Naim Nait 2

The recommended input voltage for the Nait 2 (phono version) is 2.5mv but a lot of MM cartridges nowadays are around 5-6mv.

I have noticed a few high output MC cartridges with output voltages of around 2-3mv would these be a better choice or can’t these MC cartridges be used with the Nait 2 ???

I have been using various cartridge with the Nait 2, including a Decca Super Gold,(5mv.) a Goldring 1042 (6.5mv.) and a Ortofon X5mc (2.mv.) without any issues.

3 Likes

the cartridge output shouldn’t be a problem. Naim phono cards/stages have always sounded a bit too “dark” for me, so a higher output may actually help matters. (i’ve used a Rega Exact – output of 7mv! – with a Stageline N with no problems whatsoever.)

the most important synergy is between your tonearm and the cartridge, so i’d focus attention there first.

2 Likes

I agree with cat345, I’ve had various carts on mine, A&R P77 @5mV, Linn K9 @4.5mV & Goldring 1042 @6.5mV & no problems at all
I believe the 2.5mV sensitivity is the level at which the phono stage will work from, its not so much the maximum, but the minimum.

1 Like

I don’t know about the Nait 2 but the stageline N has loads of headroom and a Decca doesn’t trouble it at all. In fact with its character and level of gain it’s a good match, or will be if I can get to the bottom of the hum.

1 Like

So am I correct in thinking that you can use high output Moving Coil cartridges using the internal Nait 2 boards or would you have to have a separate phono stage and use it through one of the other inputs?

HO MCs should be fine. Note though that they are usually lower in output compared to normal MMs so you’ll probably need to turn the volume knob up a bit more for similar level.

2 Likes

I’m fairly sure the Ultimo 10x was around back in the day. (Now Dynavector 10x5 if that helps anyone)

1 Like

How about that Rega MM that you liked Richard? What was that like into a Nait 2?

1 Like

That would probably be the Rega R100, which, IIRC was a variant of the lovely Supex SM100.

3 Likes

The Dynavector DV-20X2 High output Moving Coil has an Output Voltage of 2.8mV.

I suppose the other option would be to use a low output Moving Coil into a separate phono stage through the Aux input on the Nait 2 or use a separate step up transformer.

1 Like

Yes, you could use a step up or a separate mc preamp but why complicate things when you have a large choice of very good mm or mi carts. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.