Best CD player under £700 and under £1300?

Is there a difference between ripping the CDs to a NAS and just ripping them to a hard drive attached to Nova’s usb port? I don’t need a NAS since there is only one hifi system in the house. But is there a difference in sound quality?

I have heard this as well. Not quite sure it is though? If it is true that Nova digitizes analogue signals then instead of buying a CD player I may need to think about putting the money to a better use and buying an analogue amp instead. That way I would get a lot ore enjoyment out of my Technics SL1200G (well, I assume I would get an improvement in sound).

If there is no major difference in sound between using a cd player or a FLAC through a hard drive, I would have probably settled for the hard drive into the Nova. However what puts me off is the fact that the Nova does not display album cover on its screen when playing FLAC from a HD attached to it. Unless, that is, I am doing something wrong.

From what I can hear so far an investment in a player over £700 is pointless. I might as well stick with the current Marantz. I am planning to get a PlayStation 5 soon and if it does play CDs then I might use that as a media centre for playing all audio and video disc based media.

The Marantz might go into retirement in a nice box, next to my MD player, up in obsolete electronics heaven (i.e. The Loft).

One of these?

Drop in cd player, with puck, half width case, £95 over budget without cutting a deal.

2 Likes

What seems strange to me is people finding it strange that you might want to use a CD player. If someone asks about a new streamer, do they really want suggestions for a CD player…

9 Likes

Like the vinyl, I think it’s the tactile experience. I do miss the ritual of manipulation and time spent on.
In fact, the limitations of the format(s) implie that you normally stick to an album from beginning to end. On stream you may switch more than necessary. And there for, enjoy less the mood.

3 Likes

Suspect Exposure like Rega are quietly in-roading into Linn and Naim’s traditional market

I would recommend giving up on CD and moving ti streaming - every opportunity to improve sound quality, and no negatives … at least that has been my experience.

1 Like

I can’t be bothered to rip my cds. And I quite enjoy going to the cd rack and picking something. I definitely stream more nowadays I still enjoy the whole cd experience.

I’d suggest a Rega cd player. I have a Rega Apollo and it sounds wonderful!

I heard a speaker demo from a Marantz CD6006 and was impressed enough to recommend it.

Being a convert from old opinions that CD players could not differ significantly, I find the Naim CD5XS is possibly the best combination of performance and versatility (having a digital-out option) for “reasonable” money that I have come upon. Naim worked hard to justify the list price around $3K new. Mission accomplished, IMHO — a uniquely satisfying player.

If you didn’t mind the spend, you got more-than-fair goods, I think.

If SACD is a requirement, I’d go back to look at Marantz, Sony, or Oppo or Cambridge.

Listening to the NDX digital stream on a Mu-so Qb2 at the moment — very convenient.

Nick

1 Like

‘Like’

C.

I would go for the Cyrus Cd-1,

1 Like

There are a few second hand naim CDS / CDS2 on the bay under 1300. Some have been there for a while / have no bids.

Doubt you’ll find anything better for the money to be honest. The only issue I can think of is longevity of the transport given the age of the players.

I have not heard a streaming front end better my CDS (that’s not saying much as I haven’t auditioned the alternatives to any great extent yet). Its for this reason I’m sticking with CD over streaming for critical listening for the time being.

2 Likes

CD5 XS. A recent S/H is best VFM.

1 Like

I have had a few Naim CD players in my time and looking at your budget I would recommend without hesitation the CD5X.

Not sure on the going rate but I sold mine for £650 a few years back so probably no more and most likely a bit less these days.

The player was immensely musical and satisfying to listen to. I have owned a CDS3 and CD555 since and the CD5X did its own thing fantastically and was not shamed by these much more expensive players.

1.) CD5X plus a service
2.) CD5X plus a Flatcap X (perfect partner)
3.) CD5X plus Flatcap X plus Powerline (Just doable at the top end of your budget if you buy right)

The CD5X is not fussy about placement where as the CDX2 is. The CDX2 is a great player but can sound forward and a bit brash if sat on a surface it does not like. The CDX2 is probably still a bit over budget unless you go for an older one in need of service.

Just my thoughts anyway!

1 Like

Okay… I admit I’m someone that rips all their CDs but I see where people are coming from with the enjoyment and tactility of handling the physical media - sort of like the old days with vinyl but without the hassle of being uber careful. That aside I do often hanker for getting a player. Reading around, if you already had a dac then the Cambridge Audio CXC comes out very well! c. three hundred quid… it looks like a no-brainer.

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t answer your first question as I don’t have a player to which a drive can be attached. But theoretically there should be no difference.

1 Like

Gary, I do t think it’s strange that people want to play CDs, each to their own. What I find a little perplexing is why one might buy a Nova and then want a CD player. It may have been better to have bought say a Supernait 3 and be enjoying better sound.

1 Like

Nigel, we know that’s how you feel but no need to try to save people, mostly adults on here perfectly capable of making up their own mind. As implied, i don’t use this place to tell people how moronic i find streaming, even though the opportunity is there every day, just offer a bit of advice to questions asked every now and then.

7 Likes

I think Nigel it’s just pointing a better eficient solution was (is) possible?!
I too , wouldn’t invest in a Nova and add a CD player. :sweat_smile:

Surely it’s nice to have allll the options?

I regularly play Records and CDs, plus usb, NAS, Tidal and internet radio through the 272 and FM through the Linn.

It’s all good and I can play what I like how I like :grinning:

2 Likes

From my perspective…

I grew up with vinyl. I remember my mother playing vinyl ‘on the radiogram’ when I was a child. I recall buying my first single (Alice Cooper) in Woolworths in the early 70s. I look back on buying albums in my teens, I smile when I recollect my forays into second hand record shops when in college. The hours spent studying the medium- poring over the intricate sleeve designs, reading the lyric sheets, smelling the vinyl and the inks on the cardboard etc. etc.

I moved to CDs in my late 20s or so. I thought (at the time) the sound was better and I marvelled at how resistant the CDs were to abuse. But… the cases eventually broke, the ‘teeth’ fall out leaving the CD loose so it drops on the carpet when opened. The inserts inevitably rip when they’re removed from the case or crease on return. Plus the artwork’s so small that my eyes can’t work it out. The lyrics (of less interest now) are always printed on the minimum amount of paper (probably a good thing) but impossible to read.

I like vinyl, I like records, I’m always attracted to them even if I rarely play them and even more rarely buy them. I buy CDs quite often but purely as a transport mechanism to move the digits from the artist to my library; they rip once then go in a box to sit in a dark attic probably only to be removed when I’m no longer around…

I tolerate CDs- an acceptable means to an end but certainly not something that excites my emotions as a medium. Maybe contemptible is a bit strong, but it’s certainly on that continuum.

Sorry for the off-topic hijack.

4 Likes