Best device for Naim app?

Have tried a search in case this has already been discussed, no luck so here goes.
My Samsung S9+ ( android) is ok, but I prefer using an old iPad mini ( apple) with the app. And like all these things there are ( not sure why) differences in layout.
Are there another versions besides android and apple that may be better?

No it’s only available for Android or IOS. Most people who have tried both think that the app for IOS is better, more stable and further developed. I think iPad mini is probably the best compromise of screen size and portability for use as a music controller, but most of the time I just use my iPhone.
Best

David

2 Likes

Naim only do an Android or Apple version of the app. As a long time Android and Windows user I was reluctant to get an iPad just to get a good experience with the app. I did get the iPad and it is much better than the Android version. So bascially I got an iPad 2019 as a very expensive remote control, but it is worth it for ease of use.

I’ve got my daughter’s old iPad mini and it’s definitely better than the Samsung. Wasn’t sure if they did another formats, bit no.
And also reluctant to buy what is effect an RC with a screen.

1 Like

That’s quite bad. Considering the price Naim charge you don’t want to hear your device (which has 80% market share) isn’t as good…

The problem is that Android is an operating system but the device manufacturers choose what to implement in hardware, what to put in firmware and what to ignore. So it’s very hard for Naim to design something that will work well on all of them. So basically it has to be dumbed down to the most commonly used devices.

With Apple every device is properly defined and works as intended (unbelievably rubbish Apple software quality control on recent OS updates excepted obviously). So Naim can aim higher on Apple and then try to do their best on Android. The message is clear. Forget Apple/Google politics. They have different ways to take your money off you but they both do it very successfully, if you want the best Naim/control experience, go for a reasonably recent IPad or iphone.

Best

David

3 Likes

Really? You think the Naim app directly interacts with the hardware? For what? It is a remote control for a remote device, fully under Naim’s control. I don’t see what, if anything, complex is being done on the device itself that isn’t fully abstracted by the APIs.

Please enlighten me.

1 Like

I use both. Android phone and Apple iPad. I cannot say I have noticed any real difference between the two.

1 Like

You misunderstand me. I’m saying the device behaves predictably between different devices if it’s Apple and unpredictably if it’s one or another or another android device.

Anyway believe me or not, just as you like. It doesn’t bother me.

Best

David

My older iPad mini 2 works better than my S9+ with the Naim app and nd5xs2.

I have an iPad Pro and hate the Naim app on it. It does a really poor job taking advantage of available screen space. The UX is very poor, IMHO. :-1:

Fortunately, I only need it for the occasional change of settings. I use my NDX2 exclusively with Roon, and their app on the iPad is something the Naim app should aspire to. Imminently more usable and uses the screen to best advantage.

1 Like

One area that can be problematic with Android implementations and indeed has been for Naim is more detailed network protocol controls driven by the OS such as using multicast groups over wifi. This is important for efficient discovery and status updates using SSDP. Ios appears to be more consistent with iOS.

As far as best device, I find a regular iPad perfect… iPhone is too small to use except when I can’t find my iPad!

Agree with some comments above, I tend to use a Roon over the Naim app… I just find it a better user experience, and a better way of accessing recording/publishing information which is somewhat lacking on the Naim app, unless you use Rovi… which I don’t find that reliable.

1 Like

I use Android (Lenovo) and have also tried an iPad. Junked the iPad for other reasons and am happy with the Naim app running on Android - works fine for me.

And the Naim App is better??? You make me laugh - it’s not fit for purpose!! Tagging and images are unusable :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

Yes well I value your opinion too, not.

2 Likes

Some people just are fussier than others. The Naim app works fine for me on Apple devices.

We do use Roon, and prefer it (especially because I find myself using it on my Macbook about half the time); but I also use the Naim App to control volume via system integration (552) or directly (Qute2). For quite a while now the Naim app has been stable in my experience…haven’t experienced any bugs in what feels like a few years now.

Used Android device for four years and IOS for the last two years I much prefer the IOS App

You can say that again

So to sort of answer my own question. I think what has been said.
Android is a lottery. And depends of whose device you use.
Apple is better. Not without issues, but better.
Or, go and use Roon( which I don’t currently).
I have some sympathy for app developers if they are aimed at android but, when you can only use an item like an ND5 xs2 via an app, Naim need to try harder.

1 Like

I don’t think my response was that bad, was it?

Or, we just have a different interpretation of Hakuin’s story.