Best frontman

Carried across from the Beatles v Stones thread, (and bullied into it by AlanP), here goes:

1. Michael Philip Jagger

2. Robert Plant

3. Freddie Mercury

With an honourable mention to Ian Astbury of The Cult.

Your nominations would be most welcome.

Mr Mojo Risin.

The End.

3 Likes

One of those could-have-been singers, Jackie Leven was a great front man when he was with Doll by Doll, massive stage presence.

2 Likes

Is it only front-“man” so I can’t have Sonja Kristina, Janis Joplin, Grace Slick or Dagmar Krause.

1. Keith Emerson
  2. Ian Anderson
  3. Peter Hammill
  4. Roy Wood
  5. Captain Beefheart
1 Like

I’m pretty sure we’d all take any gender as a “frontman”, and great calls there, might play Dagmar next.

1 Like

We have a winner Dagmar Krause.

1 Like

4 Likes

Good shout Lindsay

OR

5 Likes

Having “suggested” the idea to Dave and sticking to a frontman as opposed to the best/most captivating musician, I am sticking with “Brenda”, as his mate Keef likes to refer to him as. So its Jagger for me.

1 Like

I thought this had been discussed at length on the previous forum, but it has to be Freddie Mercury. If you don’t believe me, just watch his performance at Live Aid.

3 Likes

Ok I’m Irish but for sheer stage presence he deserves a look in…

6 Likes
  • Some from me in no particular order

• Roger Daltery

• Peter Gabriel

• Dave Gaharn

• Freddie Mercury

• Robert Plant

• Prince

• Brandon Flowers

• Iggy Pop

• Jack White

• Morrisey

1 Like

Mick Jagger or Jim Morrison
Maybe Liberace , James Brown …

The late great sensational Alex Harvey.

5 Likes

Grohl, Strummer, Johnson, Bon Jovi, Rose, Osbourne, Cobain, Springsteen…etc etc

One thing is for certain in this thread … some have no comprehension of a superlative. The “best” means a list of ten?

There’s only one “best” as a frontman goes - Jim Morrison - and I’d suggest he was more the epitome. Tough to argue against for anyone with a reasonably comprehensive perspective in rock/pop music history.

1 Like

As exemplified so eloquently on this album, perhaps?

Now you’re talking…

.sjb

2 Likes

Jim Morrison - The Lizard King

1 Like