Best jokes

Took me two attempts to see what the error was :roll_eyes:

1 Like

There are at least two, missing ? and recieve.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Is there any instance where i before e and e before i in a word alters the meaning rather than just being a wrong spelling (and a pedant’s delight)?

Both are correct, it also has other names.
Reef is taken from nautical uses, it’s used to reef sails.

1 Like

I’ve had a think and none spring to mind.

1 Like

Also a permit isn’t required to park on this site. You require a permit to park on this site.

But maybe that is being picky.

2 Likes

Don’t they have question marks in Surrey ?

Doris Dewstone (my old English teacher) would be having Words with the unfortunate person who wrote that . A nickname that is Dickensian as Dewstone is not easily earned .

The missing question mark is daft. The spelling mistake is unforgivable. But the whole structure of the writing is clumsy. I also don’t like the concept of blighting the built environment with large signs that attempt to tell you what you can and can’t do.

2 Likes

Any parking ticket would be unenforceable, since the signage would need to set out the terms of the contract and the agreed fee if terms are broken.

Maybe the School of Law has some work to do too!

Does that not make it an epithet rather than a nickname?

2 Likes

But if someone doesn’t have a permit, then there is no contract.

And it’s private land. No doubt there will other signs anyway, as it was quite a large car park.

It was indeed though the word epithet was way beyond our comprehension at the time (pun intended)

She was my teacher in 1967 and when I came across mention of her somewhere about 2020 I still had a nightmare about her.

I think she was the role model for Delores Umbridge

1 Like

Perhaps it’s no more clumsy than beginning one’s sentences with “But”.

2 Likes

A man is alone in an airport lounge. A beautiful woman walks in and sits down at the table next to him.
He decides, because she’s wearing a uniform, she’s probably an off-duty stewardess.
Because her jacket is folded neatly beside her he can’t see any logos so he decides to have a go at picking her up by identifying
the airline she flies for, thereby impressing her greatly.
He leans across to her and says the British Airways motto: ‘To Fly. To Serve’.
The woman looks at him blankly. He sits back and thinks up another line.
He leans forward again and delivers the Air France motto: ‘Winning the hearts of the world’.
Again she just stares at him with a slightly puzzled look on her face.
Undeterred, he tries a third time, this time saying the Malaysian Airlines motto:‘Going beyond expectations’.
The woman looks at him sternly and says:
‘What the f**k do you want?’
‘Ah ha!’ he says, “Ryanair”.

24 Likes

I think these days starting a sentence with “But” is ok. It’s better than “So”, which I also use freely, anyway.

Anyway I suggest we ought to let this thread get back on topic!

2 Likes

Neither “But” nor “And” should be used to start sentences. Report to my study. Yes, please get back on topic - it was you who started all this pedantic stuff.

1 Like

I blame Caxton.

1 Like

26 Likes

Not sure it was one of his best stand up routines though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes