Best looking vintage Hifi gear

Do you have a giant bic biro to go with it?

1 Like

For me it’s the trusty Naim CD3. The most memorable audio component i’ve ever purchased on my HiFi journey since 1997. I truly regret ever selling mine.

Pic (taken from the web)

16 Likes

Naim Chrome Bumper Nait2. I’ll admit to a little bias as I own this example, but it is lovely piece of industrial design and also sounds pretty good too.

27 Likes

Still got mine, I decided to keep it as a spare.

At the start of the year , the AudioLab 6000 CDT I had been lent went back, with it went my CDX2 for a service (well it was Christmas) , and down from the spare room came my CD3 . It was actually my third CD3 as I lost two in burglaries

Not been used since 2002, within a couple of hours it was playing - superbly

Still got the matching NAT 03

best wishes

3 Likes

The one that ruled them all! Mark Levinson No.26S with PLS. 226 power supply
Circa 1994

7Y71CvSl

The S had all Teflon Boards!

4 Likes

I went the same route, moving to a Unitiqute before my current Nova. Always had a fondness for the Cyrus units and may well have stayed with them had their streamer been better.

1 Like

I wonder for what a giant bic would be useful ? It’s not a Gulliver table :laughing:

1 Like

Can this be called vintage…?

The Luxman D500x. Beautiful.

10 Likes

I think that’s the one that I’ve seen (see above). What model number does that Nait have?

For winding the tape of course :wink:

1 Like

When we were growing up, we had a fair bit of ITT stuff in our house, as my mum worked as a secretary there, and used to get big discounts on all their audio-visual gear.

I have fond memories of this radio (I used it to listen to John Peel and Radio Caroline under the bedclothes), and I like the early/mid 70s styling:

16 Likes

A pair in the dining room, and a pair of M20 at daughter#2.

Indeed! I’ve had a couple of full width Olive boxes from them. Good people!

1 Like

Sony ICF -SW1 world band radio.

Not, strictly speaking, HiFi, but this little chap went with me all over the world, wherever work took me, and was a great way of staying in touch with the news back home.

12 Likes

sansuisixbloga
Enjoyed 30 years out of this one

8 Likes

My greatest regret is selling all my vinyl in the mid 2000’s.
My next greatest regret is selling my LP12, ARO, Troika - particularly the ARO - simply stunning design, truly inspired.
The combination of the three sublime.

(web sourced picture)

15 Likes

What about the Cambridge audio P50? I always thought they looked great and sounded great on the couple of times I heard them in a hi fi exhibition. I was at the entry level in the market in those days (Amstrad IC2000 - not a bad looker, better than the sound quality) so could only dream of the P50. Was this design an inspiration for the first Audiolab designs?

18 Likes

I think it’s not always my English, just sometimes I don’t understand what is so evident to understand. Or recognise people that are in front of me, searching more in the crowd. :joy:

2 Likes

You can guess what is pictured. Not difficult. Perhaps the best fm tuner of all time. Still very expensive, even if vintage.

9 Likes

It’s just a standard Nait2 that bridged the transition from chrome bumper to olive case work, so it was only made in pretty limited numbers.

1 Like