Best looking vintage Hifi gear

Recap, full rework the whole amplifier. Replacement of troublesome parts and restore the glossy finish in the wood case. I have a detailed documentation in audiokarma about this amp, if you want it I can PM it to you.

1 Like

Poodled it and found it right away. Very cool project.

1 Like

I am sure our audio history professor, Richard, will enlighten us on the reason of the screen for that deck.
It looks cool by the way.

4 Likes

What the duck is that, old chap?

Yes, great for heating a room. However it sounded better than the cooler Arcam amps. This was my introduction to real hi fi.

It’s not a magnified mirror for inspecting the stylus?

1 Like

18 Likes

That is simply stunning.

I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

That is a lovely looking machine in a very macho way: what was the model number (was the number 1500 involved?).

Technics did make some wonderful high end equipment when the brand was first launched (by Panasonic?) all those years ago. Does anyone else remember their SP10 turntable, which was used as a transcription deck by Capital Radio in London, and which featured somewhere on this Forum a week or so ago ?

I remember lusting after that tape deck and the SP10 turntable 40-odd years ago.

Do tell us more about it. Is it still in working order?

And are you using it in a Naim system?

Just lovely! (Oh, I’ve said that already,)

1 Like

Its not mine Graham, I know little about it.I just saw it online some months ago.

Here’s my FH7 - it does take batteries (12 D cells!) or swap out the power unit to take Mains power and convert it to a full system with CD and half size TT…

10 Likes

Sony TA-N77 @ E77…lovely

10 Likes

They do say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I can’t say that that Sony monstrosity is doing anything for me.

Let’s call it ‘Chernobyl Style Industrial Design’.

1 Like

That Sony deck looks pretty cool

8 Likes

The top Sony deck, PS X9

10 Likes

Agree. And it’s not the presence of the VU meters because @Leadpin 's JVC is the most gorgeous thing I’ve seen on this thread.

Goes to show, execution is everything.

1 Like

Sony Wallkman Pro WM-D6C

2 Likes

Good gracious, that Sony deck is hideous. Does the orange neon on the flank have any purpose other than to warn off approaching human beings?

Incidentally, is that a non-standard size record being played? (I can’t work out from the photo the relative sizes of things.)

1 Like

The PS-X9 is huge, so that’s a standard size LP being played. It’s a phenomenal deck by all accounts, built like a tank. I have to admit, I’m a sucker for the colour orange and I rather like those orange heatsinks.

3 Likes

So… as was discussed on another thread, its a 16 inch turntable and probably a 12 inch arm.