774 -
mission_774

1 Like

More likely a Planar 2, I think… :expressionless:

Classic Marantz 2270 from the mid 70’s.

18 Likes

That sounds very, very familiar

1 Like

Still undecided on which one looks better.

33 Likes

The bottom one gets my vote…

7 Likes

Marantz Receivers were a thing of beauty. I remember buying the wooden sleeve as an addition.

1 Like

I had one of these when I was younger - I had my first real job (early 80s), and money was burning a hole in my pocket. As I recall, it was thoroughly underwhelming.

3 Likes

The Nait is lovely, but for me its CB Nait2 every time - Naim really cracked it with the hybrid chrome bumper case and olive backlit logo. They still haven’t surpassed this design aesthetically, although the Mighty Atom comes very very close, the Statement not far behind either.

3 Likes

Had one of these and loved it many moons ago. Sorry this is the correct image.

6 Likes

This was the exact piece of equipment that did it for me. My friend’s dad had one, and I was mesmerized.

The backlit lighting is lovely, the tractor wheels less so…

Wrong!!! :joy:

1 Like

Used to have one of these, quality wasn’t great but always thought it looked cool

JVD KD-720

5 Likes

Oh dear! We’re back in the classroom.

I bought the 2270 without the wood surround but found a lesser powered Marantz that had one so I bought it and did the switch.

I sort of agree about the tractor wheels actually, think it brings down the Nait 2 slightly in the looks department.

I had a Creek CAS4040 rather than NAD. Most of my mates went Rotel.

2 Likes

Another Luxman beauty – the PD350 turntable from about 1983:

11 Likes

I’m not sure if these qualify for a best looking mention, but they were a superb product:

Videotone Minimax speakers. My brother has a pair that he bought new round some time around the end of the 1970s, in Mk II variant, and still uses them today. They apparently measure just 265mm high, 150mm wide, and 225mm deep - and the sound is surprisingly good for such a diminutive and relatively low cost speaker, though of course the bottom couple of octaves are missing.

7 Likes