Best looking vintage Hifi gear

Great combo, which I owned in the late 80s… had the 8000a previously…loved them…

1 Like

Looks very similar to the Technics RS630 that I owned

RS630

It was reliable and sounded pretty good with TDK SA cassettes. I upgraded to a Nakamichi BX300E, which was a different class.

9 Likes

Out of context, this statement could be misinterpreted as prophesy. You could repost it in the “Naim New Classic range” thread and then sit back with a large bag of popcorn to watch the fur fly :grinning:

And to get back on topic: I really liked the clean lines and simple lines of the Nene Valley Audio (NVA) and Onix equipment from the 1980s.

Mark Levinson No33 from 1994.

B&O Beomaster 901. 1972.

B&O Beomaster 1900. 1976.

And almost everything from B&O.

16 Likes

What is the turntable ? Wilson Benesh ? Pink Triangle ?

But none of them came close to a Nait.

The interloper has arrived today- and to say I am pleased would be an understatement
This A60 has been lovingly restored to stock- both cosmetically and electronically.
It looks like a brand new amp- not one that was built in 1980.
It is going to be a temporary (!) replacement for my SN3 that needs some work doing on it.
I will connect up and report back on the other thread that I started (a60 connection advice)
It really is beautiful!

23 Likes

That’s a nicely restored example. The styling still looks good today.

2 Likes

It really does- who would have thought so given the age of the amp.
It also is really solid- xs2 solid, as opposed to SN3 solid.

1 Like

Is it the later version with the 4mm speaker connections?

1 Like

It is indeed.

2 Likes

I bought this new in 1984. It has been in use up until recently when it was replaced by a more modern integrated. Still works flawlessly.

18 Likes

(Sorry, accidentally deleted earlier post, so reposting…)

The best looking bits of hifi I’ve owned:

Original early 80s Rega Planar 3 with Rega R200 arm. Bought when I was still at school with hard earned funds from a holiday job, and still going strong today.

Aiwa AD-3100 cassette deck. Actually I wanted the AD-3500, but could only afford the cheaper deck, which was arguably a simpler, purer design.

And finally, my much loved Sony Walkman DD. Just a great bit of industrial design and now much sought after, apparently. Just wish I still had it.

19 Likes

The one on the left side was an Origin Live modified LP12 (can not recommend to do this) and the one on the right side was a Scheu Premier.

3 Likes

Still think this gear looks great a true classic design

Yep hi had an Aiwa cassette deck it was great…thanks for posting pic…

1 Like

I remember going into Radford HiFi in Gloucester Road, Bristol, in early 1986 to listen to the Audiolab 8000A, the A&R Cambridge A60 and the Naim Nait. I so wanted to prefer the Audiolab (which had lots of features and looked quite modern) or even the A60 (which, with its wooden casing reminded me of the Armstrong 621). I left with the amp with the fewest features and most functional appearance. The Naim Nait was, and still is, an astonishing amplifier.

6 Likes

My friend called those mark levinson boat anchors.

1 Like

Sounds like when I went to audition turntables to upgrade my Dual 505. I wanted to like the lovely looking Michell Synchro, but the Rega Planar 3 was clearly better and cheaper! I was also biased against the Rega because of the magazine hype around it. I had already been bitten by this with the 505.

1 Like

Had memories for me too, although it would be more than 30 years before I could afford any Naim kit and Radfords had long gone, although I understand that one of the former managers? runs a HiFi shop in Yeovil.