Best looking vintage Hifi gear

A few of us still use and love exposure - a hidden (and bargain) gem in the world of hifi! I’d put the system I’m running somewhere at the 500 Naim level sound wise. More musical and great PRaT but you do lose a slight amount of the great Naim forwardness if you know what I mean.

1 Like

“GRAM” … that is the right label for an input …
Not so sure about “VIDEO” … but then never got much into tv and vhs …

2 Likes

Although some people loved them, I could never get on with them. Just plain, boring and “unengaging” sound.

3 Likes

A tad harsh in my view Tony, but as I said the appeal of Naim got the better of me. The Exposures had more warmth, a bit more cuddly if you like. I used a Xerxes with them rather than the warmer Linn of the time which balanced things out somewhat. Certainly no criticism of Exposure from me, just ended up preferring the drive and scale of Naim.

Just my opinion and happy they suited your listening taste, Stuart. No harm meant.
I feel the same about Luxman. They just leave me cold.
Glad you found Naim!:grinning:

1 Like

Crikey, no offence taken at all Tony. Of course it’s all down to personal taste at the end of the day. I loved Exposure but I love Naim more.

Mid eighties I had a dem of Linn vs Naim vs Exposure. The Exposure X won that test sending me off to their pre/ powers. Then I found the Separate Box Loudspeaker and compared my big Exposure amps to an 82/180. For me the rest was history.

1 Like

They certainly look unloved. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, the previous owner never looked after them. Mind you, the sound never made out for it either.

1 Like

Mordaunt Short MS700 loudspeakers. Featuring the superb Decca Kelly ribbon tweeter. A friend has a pair that I’ve always admired. They are just great sounding.

th-4034242006

4 Likes

It is difficult to imagine those Exposure amps, even when new, ever looking the part. They look, to me, semi-agricultural, at best.

I know, of course, that I shouldn’t worry about the looks, and only concern myself with the sound of the things, but I can’t do that.

2 Likes

A fair bit of low volume UK kit from the time was similarly afflicted; even Naim was accused of having a “home made” look about it (not entirely wrong in the case of the early bolt down kit, which was built on JV’s kitchen table). Unfortunately in the case of the Exposure kit in the picture above, the quality of the photo and the general dusty look don’t really help it.

1 Like

They have very much the look of an old Landrover. Very British. :blush:

Fair comment, Richard. My first ‘real’ audio equipment was QUAD, which had a fairly ‘home-built’ look to it, particularly when built in Huntingdon before the Chinese took over the company and moved manufacturing offshore.

I thought they looked lovely back in the day Graham. I was looking at a 32-5/110 in my dealers back room this morning. They also looked lovely…

Sorry, Richard, these are better pics(not mine) and it still does not do anything for me. Not just the look but the sound as well as I remember at the time. We agree to disagree. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I tend to agree, but I suppose they have a bit of an old pro audio look about them? Maybe they just need the right context? A nice bright 70s styled apartment might suit?

1 Like

Tony, I’m not sure I do disagree here…

2 Likes

Ive always loved the Blue Room Dada Baby Speakers.

My daughter has a set of the original Blue Room Minipods in her Bedroom which are a close second

14 Likes

How do they sound? Look to be a bit of an ebay bargain😁

1 Like

Got 2 pairs of the blue Room mini pods and they are terrible sound wise (original mk 1 in silver) - look so funky though! I let my kids use them on their hifi and they do sound better than the gooley lifestyle products they refuse not to use. Shame as they have no interest in SQ, only ease of use!!!

1 Like