Best options for CD player into Nova

The CD5si is a great value CD player. It doesn’t have a digital output.

1 Like

Ah, that’s useful to know. Especially if I’m holding onto my Nova, which seems likely.

Thanks.

If it did, probably sell in quite large numbers .

Interesting that Roksan, Cambridge, Cyrus have dedicated transports and Rega / Exposure both have digital outputs .

2 Likes

Audiolab 6000CDT here with a Nova, and I don’t see any reason to spend more.

Very nicely put together too.

3 Likes

If you buy a s/h Cyrus transport, make sure you get an SE2 model as they are much more reliable. All Cyrus CD players from last 15 years have digital out. Cyrus are one of the few high-end companies still making good players.

1 Like

Suggest trialling a Cyrus in your budget
It’s seriously compelling

I’ve had both the Cyrus CDT and XT Signature Transports in past systems and I’d agree. The Signature with PSX-R2 was great but that was a few years ago.

My preferred listening had migrated from CD & vinyl to streaming and vinyl, but now it’s heading back to including CD too. All other variables as an added caveat, I think CD playback is simply better sounding than streaming, and very often more engaging than vinyl.

But I love vinyl for often other reasons not exclusively tied to SQ, and I still have a thousand odd CD, despite shedding double that a couple of years ago after I’d ripped them to an Innuos device. So I’m keen to maximise both formats and less fussed about streaming bar Apple’s increasingly good 5.1 offerings.

I think my next CD machine will be a transport, that’s for sure. Maybe!?!?

1 Like

I used Cyrus CDI XR and Cyrus CDI for a year prior to my CDS3 being serviced. Both performed well and the half width case saves rack room. I would compare to my CDX from years ago. Cyrus has a synergy with Naim.

1 Like

I’m with @NickSeattle on the CD5XS. A really nicely balanced player, with or without a power supply, which took Naim’s 5 series CD replay as far as it could go. Can also be used a transport only if that is important to you.

2 Likes

My friend is moving on his Marantz SA8005, so I’ve had it hooked up for a demo this evening.

For CD I have used it as a transport via optical into the Nova, for SACD it’s going into my Denon AV3700 and into my 5.1 set up.

Early impressions are pretty favourable for both formats, especially the SACD into the Denon.

1 Like

Marantz CD players are wonderful — underrated. If you like yours, trust your ears.

I find that makers still willing to ask big money for CD players (like Marantz and Naim) do seem to deliver value for money for those who care. My CD5XS retailed for relatively shocking USD$3K, compared with reputable Sony Blu-Ray players $100 to $1K.

Who can say if CDs sound 3-30x better on my CD5XS; probably not — but the CD5XS is, to me, obviously, an inspired and discerning component at its limited job, and a steal on the used market around $900-1500 for recent examples.

I also own Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-95 units which both have their strengths; but the CD5XS is my hero for CD replay.

Nick

Hi Nick,

It’s interesting to hear your thoughts and comparisons between the players and brands you mention.

The Marantz my friend has loaned me is very impressive. For CD play I’ve used it as a transport into my Nova, and in this role it has got more resolution and depth than my Sony UHD x800M2 (the only other disc player to hand for side by side listening), there’s more width and a bit more “heft” to the sound picture. Not necessarily more detailed but the sound seems more vivid, if that makes sense.

My friend doesn’t want very much for it, so that may also sway me considerably!

I’m not familiar with the Naim CD player hierarchies, my Nova purchased in 2020 was my first foray into their products. There are a lot of CD players with a 5 in their model numbering: CD5, CD5x, CD5si, CD5Xs and maybe more I’ve omitted.

I can follow the chronology but the SQ differences are less easy to discern based on user comments, with all their inherent subjectivity.

Time for some more listening to the SA8005.

1 Like

I’ve had my friend’s Marantz SA8005 for just over a week now, and it’s a keeper. As a transport into the Nova for CD it’s really good.

As an SACD player into my Denon AV, it’s superb.

We’ve made a deal, so for now, that’s my CD transport/player search over.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.