Best Pathway to SN3 & ND5 XS2

Hopefully the last question about this, I’ve got the streamer on pre-amp 2 but the app is not letting me enable the input for that one. I’ve disabled 1,3, 4 and 6 as inputs but only 5 (turntable) is showing in the inputs so how would I change back to 2 for the streamer?

If you’ve set 2 for the streamer that’s all you have to do. You can’t then select input 2 in the app - this foxed me too - but if you choose say Qobuz or upnp and then play it will go to 2.

1 Like

Remember that with the current streamers Naim have advised for best sound quality leave all inputs turned on unlike the previous streamers.
Agreed it’s certainly neater with them off however. :+1:t2:

Okay, got it

If you really have no choice but to stack your streamer and amp, it will still work, but it’s really not ideal. You might be able to put some isolation between them as a temporary measure, but I would probably just live with it while you work out a better long term solution.
You should put something under the feet of the top box to protect the case below, otherwise it will leave marks on the black finish which may be impossible to remove. A small piece of kitchen foil would do it.

Equipment arrived. Sadly I’ve got a problem: New SN3 Owner - Help!

I also initially thot that thr IR stood for infrared. Luckily, I finally read the manual …

@david1111 Maybe I’m just not looking in the right place but my ND5XS2 didn’t come with a manual. What manual did you read. Naim themselves didn’t reply to me with a link to manual when I wrote them about it, pointing me only to the quick start guide.

1 Like

I can report back to the whole thread here that the photo stage on the SN3 is really quite wonderful. It seems like a nice step up from the Rega MM but I’ve not done an A/B test and given how big a step up the SN3 is from the Unitilite, it’s hard to know for sure. What I can say is my ears are very happy.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s very good. I swapped to an MM just so I could use it, and it’s great to de-clutter a bit. My Rega seems very happy plugged directly into the SN3, which is such a lovely amplifier.

1 Like

I just had a look 'round at the Naim manuals, and they only appear to be producing a Quick Start manual for the ND5 XS2. My NDS was made in 2017, and it ships with a QS manual, but there is still a Reference Manual available online.
That’s why I thought there would be one for the ND5 XS2 as well.
Sorry for the misinformation.

Glad to hear though, that the phono stage on your SN3 sounds so good.

Check the Support section here - https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nd5-xs-2. There u can search for any topic. You will get reasonable answers/directions from there. Should be good enough to compensate what u get in a Manual.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

Another post in praise of the SN3 phono input. I’m now using an Akurate LP12 (with Adikt MM cartridge) to drive mine and it sounds wonderful

4 Likes

Some reviewers (I am mainly thinking of a chap called Paul Rigby who styles himself as ‘The Audiophile Man’ on YouTube) have cheerfully dismissed the SN3’s built-in phono stage and urged all viewers to not even consider using it. Honestly, what is the point of such commentary when the reviewer has clearly not even listened once to the object of his derision?

I find these positive remarks from owners who have taken the trouble to at least try the feature out to be a fine counterblast to the ineffably smug Mr. Rigby

3 Likes

Clearly Mr Rigby is a horse’s arse. The inbuilt power supply is excellent. I’m really surprised how good it is.

4 Likes

Agreed. It probably doesn’t have anything on a Stageline or other similarity priced phono stage but it seems to outperform, to my ears, my Rega Fono MM and my Vincent Pho-8 (the latter of which I prefer over the Rega and which is the bargain of the century for someone just starting to dabble in phono preamps).

Makes little sense to me, honestly. Anyone know why this is?

Nope, but it’s been spoken about a few times now since the new ranges release.
HifiCritic spoke about it also if my memory serves me right.

I just want to give a shout out to all who helped me along my journey to be the owner of my naim two box system. I absolutely love it. Some particular shout outs to @anon4489532 @ChrisSU @seakayaker @Mr.M @david1111. Thank you all for the friendly help and advice.

4 Likes

…your welcome and I am happy to hear you say, “I absolutely love it.”

Wonderful news!

1 Like