Best Pathway to SN3 & ND5 XS2

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’m going to check out the Nait XS3 route also. Based on suggestions here I’ve looked at other threads on the topic and since many prefer it with the NDX it’s worth comparing also. (although something deep down says the SN3 is a better long-term investment, if I upgrade to a higher end streamer (vs ND5 XS2) in future, or as time passes and streamer technology improves in general).

I have seen others on the forums say the SN3 lacks some of Naim PRAT and energy when compared to the XS3. I find that surprising. Regardless, compared to the Unitilite is the XS3 pre/amplification a significant step up, in the context of my Harbeth 30.1s?

I would go for a SN3. Even with a ND5 XS 2 into SN3 this combo will perform higher than with a XS 3. It’s always best to stretch that little bit further, if at all possible. Then of course you will already have a fantastic foundation for a superior source component in the future.

3 Likes

Did you snag that SN3 that was on Cam a few days ago? I noticed that it’s gone now.
All my pre-owned Naim gear has come from Quebec. Plurison/fFocal is there, so they have more Naim Dealers and customers in Quebec.

Dave

1 Like

SN3 has an integrated phono stage so you could move on or trade in your existing one.

@david1111 Sadly no, still saving up and I suppose I need the sign off from my better half first also. I’ll probably jump before the holidays on the SN3.

I was looking at the Unitilite manual and I don’t think there is a line-level output, only a volume adjusted pre-output so I’m not sure how I’d use the Unitilite as a source. Since I want to use the turntable to maximum effect, I’ll need to use the preamp on the integrated SN3. I’m still researching this problem for a solution. My goal is to get to both the SN3 and ND5 XS2, but it will have to be one at a time, unfortunately. If I go with the XS3 I might be able to do both at once, but the prevailing wisdom on the forum is signalling towards the SN3. I’ll try to audition both.

1 Like

Basically ots but curious as to how ppl. feel about this. I just ordered an open box item and it stated “free shipping over $100” - and it was well over. I had spoken on the phone and they reduced the price another $100 as it had been advertised for quite some time and we agreed on the price. It arrived and was at the agreed upon price but when the receipt arrived (I had to request it). The price had been reduced by about $45 from the agreed upon price and was used to pay for shipping, so the final price was as agreed, but is it really “free shipping” and should it matter?

1 Like

TO Vinyl
I live in Canada too (Windsor),and lately I have been getting most of my gear from Audio Eden, which is located just north of Toronto (Aurora). They have a nice selection of used and new Naim gear, and will take trade ins. Very good service, and nice guys to deal with, I guess it depends where in Canada you are? Check out their website under used items, plenty of Naim gear to choose from.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve come very close a few times to buying from Audio Eden. They have some very good pre-owned items for sale, and they seem like nice people to deal with.
When I was waiting for an NDS to present itself tho, the dealers always wanted $5500 to $6000 cad for them because they obviously have more overhead to cover. I did make them some vert reasonable offers, but they wouldn’t budge even a little.
I was on a budget at the time, so I waited, and eventually picked up an NDS for $4500 cad. It was a 2017 model and basically new. I got it from a reseller, and it must have just been used in a show and re-shelved, because the plastic bag that the remote, cables, and manual, were in, was still sealed and unopened.
But y’know, these Covid times have created a whack of odd situations with buying and selling, and just about everything.

2 Likes

I always have to go through the sign off routine with my better half as well. It’s a good way to keep extra expenditures in check.
And I know what you men regarding the preamp situation with the SN3. I had the same issue when I had my Superuniti and then found a SN2 that i couldn’t pass up. Until I got my NDS, I had to bypass the far superior pre in the SN2 because of the pre in the SU.
It wasn’t so bad because I really did enjoy the SU, and the better SN2 amp made it sound even better.

It’s always a one step at a time situation for me, but I always have a goal or plan that I stick to, and in the end I have the system that I was building towards at the beginning.
Once I got all the black boxes I needed, a Hi-line cable to connect them, came my way, and it made quite a positive difference.

It’s a nice steady progression with Naim gear. You get the boxes right, then you get the cables right, the you get the power source right (not necessarily in that order), then you work on getting the PSs for the separate sections of the gear (Analog and Digital).

And the system just sounds better and better with each step you take, so it doesn’t really matter which order you purchase the boxes in, as long as you have an end goal system in mind that you’re building towards, and that you stick to.

Anyhoo, that’s what I’ve been doing. Hope this helps. I’m in the process of getting sign off on Power Supplies now. Wish me luck …

Dave

1 Like

Looking at their website today, I see my old 2016 NDS is still there, I originally bought it from them, and like yours, it was like new condition. I also see my Cary Audio cinema 12 and Superlumina speaker cables still there too. I took a loss on some of the gear, but did not have to bother trying to sell it on my own. I am done buying new gear for quite a while now, have to concentrate on paying other bills down…and saving for retirement in ten years or so. My next upgrade would of been a 555DR for my NDS, but at 14k Canadian, I decided to head in another direction, and get off the upgrade train.

2 Likes

Yes, I know what you mean. The 555PS is actually $16k with tax. When these things are quoted in BPS here, I believe the VAT is included, n’est ce pas?
I’ll be using other PSs for a while till the Covid dust settles, and I find a good pre-owned unit. Thank God something is available to at least power things till then. It’d be a real pisser to have to just sit and look at it. (Which, of course, I would do).

And I’m done as far as upgrading. I will max out the NDS/SN2 setup I have; ie: do any tweaks and improvements possible. But I can’t see going to separates. I came to Naim to get away from separates.

Dave

Hi All,

I’m really struggling with the choice of purchasing an NDX2 and using my Unitilite as the pre/amp, or SN3 with Unitilite somehow feeding in via the pre-out (sound level management will be challenging). I can’t demo both in an A/B test nor will I be able to demo both options at home (I don’t think).

Some advise taking the NDX2 for its streaming options. I guess my question would be: will the NDX2 on its own into the Unitilite pre/amp be a noticeable improvement over the Unitilite, or will the extra power and control of the SN3 from my Unitilite be more beneficial (the latter gives me an immediate boost on vinyl also, which is of interest).

I don’t want to go down the NDX2 route is it won’t be a noticeable difference when powered through the Unitilite.

I would say go for a more homenegenous combo like the xs3 or SN2/3 and the Nd5xs2 if thw budget allow it !
You will have more performance on every points vs your two option.

Between the two option you gave, i personnaly wait and save a bit more.

Have you thought about a NAIT XS2 or 3 with an ND5 XS2?
If you are set on the choices you specify i’d get the NDX2 first and run that through the analogue inputs on the Unitilite.
The challenge you face is there’s no obvious and clear upgrade path for your current Unitilite, ideally you’d replace it and add a better seperate digital source concurrently.
Another option to consider which is similar from a system perspective is the Uniti Nova.

2 Likes

Hi @Mr.M, I think I want to go with the SN3 for future flexibility on the speakers side. Then the question is between the ND5XS2 (where this thread started) and the NDX2. So many folks here strongly encourage the NDX2 as a far superior product. I could probably afford to leap in with the SN3 and ND5XS2 at the same time based on my savings, although this is still a stretch. The extra ~$5000 CAD to step up to NDX2 would require some extra savings time for me. Due to COVID in my area, and my regular contact with someone who is immunocompromised, I’m not keen on going to audition the difference between the two on a SN3, as I normally would want.

1 Like

Everyone spending 5000$ more for the NDX2 vs the nd5 will defend is choice. For me, the Nd5xs2 is the real sweet spot with the SN3. Bring a hi-line for a bit more and you are really near the NDX2 for lot less !

If you plan to add an XPSdr to the NDX2 there is a different game but for a different price too !

2 Likes

Honestly, I’d sell on the Unitilite, and pick up an SN2 for amplification. They are a real bargain now that they’re discontinued, and it will do you for a long time. And you can always add a HiCapdr to it when you can. I run my NDS thru an SN2 with a Hi-line, and it’s excellent.

Then get an ND5XS2 to feed it, and you’ll love it. If the price of the SN2 allows you to get an NDX2, then that would be great.

But an SN2/ND5XS2 is a great combination.
Ok, I’m done. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Cheers.

3 Likes

I would also take into consideration if the screen and remote is important to you. If not, then i think i’d go the nd5xs2 route. I am not saying to get the ndx2 just for these features, but i am on the same upgrade path as you and decided that i really like using the remote of my Uniti Star and don’t wanna miss the screen either.

I’d really be looking at a recent SN2 and NDX2 over the SN3 and ND5XS2 if that is the limit of your budget. Going source first will pay dividends.

2 Likes

It’s a tough call and mostly directed by budget and timing expectations. Some good suggestions here for systems, I ran a SN2 + HiCap DR + ND5 XS2 for about a year and it does work well, you can easily live with it without a HiCap and add one as funds allow, almost universal agreement that adding one improves the system but by no means mandatory.
It would seem you are based in Canada which will have an influence on your product availability and choices as well as typical prices.
I’m based in the South of England around 45 minutes from Naim HQ in Salisbury and as such have been a bit spoilt over the years in terms of used kit and available new stock.
A sensible middle ground here if you feel you want the extra drive and power reserves of a Supernait is the Supernait 2 which is available used at good prices typically and is a very capable, flexible and importantly enjoyable integrated amp to live with.
It will pair favourably with an ND5 XS2 and if later down the line your funds allow can be traded for a NDX2 to give you further refinements and options to add an external power supply, most typically an XPS DR.
Another aspect to factor in which you yourself have highlighted is speaker choice and of course the listening environment. If you have a larger room then you would benefit from the Supernait over the XS typically.
I’ve owned all the Supernaits and NAIT XS and XS2 running those both with and without a HiCap DR.
I currently have a SN3 + NDX2 and whilst that is a refinement over the SN2 I’d still have no hesitation suggesting a SN2 in your case given it’s typical used price and capabilities.
I would add that to my ears the ND5 XS2 pairs most favourably with a NAIT XS 2/3 but does work nicely with a Supernait 2/3 and if that suits your budget best would be a sound choice, one which also gives you scope for further refinements over time and as funds allow.

7 Likes