Best phono stage for uniti star and Linn basik

What phono stage would you recommend for a uniti star and a Linn Basik

I already have a stage line but can’t find a second hand I-supply. And sadly I think a Flatcap is too large for my setup and the Hi cap is too expensive

If there’s a cheaper stage line PSU I’m missing then that would be my preference.

Many thanks

Clive

1 Like

As for alternatives, there’s too many to list out there, depends on budget as well. I’ve been happy (although currently replacing it) with my MoFi studiophono, could look at the ultraphono as well. The different Lehmanns are quite good as well. But too many to choose from really.

1 Like

I rather like Graham Slee phono stages. Compact, they are either dedicated to MM or MC . And you can access all price points , I use an Expression with a dedicated Graham Slee power stage

As for a power supply for a Stage Line , my temptation would be to leave alone and either sell it to somebody like 2nd Hand or retire it. The thing is that if you have a Stage Line , have you switched from Naim Classic and switched to Uniti?

1 Like

I love my Stageline but the Rega Fono always seems popular here. It sounds best with Rega cartridges to me.

1 Like

I switched from a generation 1 uniti and that powered the phono stage. So now its reduntant. Its a shameNaim discontinued the I supply.

1 Like

Yes a quick google search and they turned up!!!

Thanks

I would warn against using any 3rd party PSU with Naim kit. At best, they will not performa as Naim intended, and at worst they may damage your connected equipment, and their use will void any Naim warranty. This is one reason why their mention or discussion is not allowed here.

3 Likes

Thats good to know, just seems crazy getting a flatcap just to power the stageline. Making a compact system no so compact.

I really wish they still made the I-supply but I guess they cant make as much money from this product.

No, nothing to do with “making money”. I think the i-Supply was discontinued because of ROHS restrictions. Demand was pretty small so it didn’t really justify an i-Supply2, what with cheap secondhand NAPSCs (Headline only) and Flatcaps of all kinds being widely available, as well as power AUX2 sockets on all the pre-amps.

So whats would be the cheapest and smallest footprint to power the Stageline and use it with the star?

Thanks

Clive

A secondhand i-Supply would probably be cheapest and smallest. Next cheapest and not so small would be a Flatcapl either the original, Flatcap2, Flatcap2x, or Flatcap2xs

1 Like

I was looking at a secondhand naim nac112x, would this power the Stageline? and would it improve the sound of the star?

many thanks

It would, but the NAC112x itself would need to be powered, of course (either from Flatcap or a suitable power amp), so unless you’re looking to completely change from your Star, it’s not really a good option here.

1 Like

Lets face it, a Naim phono stage simply doesn’t fit your needs here if you want to keep the cost and box count low. When I had an LP12 and Superuniti I chose a Rega Fono 2 for similar reasons, and it did a great job for £200.

2 Likes

I’m thinking the same thing. If I had space I would have separates. And a Flatcap is as big as the :star:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.