Best phono stage to use with Dynavector 10x5

I have a rega p3 with a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge playing through Naim phono stage N.

I understand the DV is a high output MC cart and it appears I may need a different phono stage. ( I think I had the N with previous TT which had a MM cart but honestly cant remember)

The problem is a total lack of gain when playing vinyl and I can only describe listening for any length of time as painful. I have therefore stopped using the system and am tending to stream via a bose bluetooth speaker which wjhile convenient makes my 900 plus vinyl collection redundant.

I spoke to a Naim dealer and he said the N phono stage was ok with the DV cart. But everything I read says not and I may be better with an E? Is using the N the source of the problem?

**Guys and girls when you reply can you just tell me which phono stage is most suited to the DV - I am not technical.

I am at the point of selling everything because it is just sitting there not getting used.

I live in Doncaster and if there is anyone local who would be prepered to help me out I have no issue with paying for their time, (hope this is allowed on the forum)

I have approached and used several dealers in the past who have just made me feel stupid through my lack of knowledge so wonā€™t be going down that route again.

Chris

1 Like

There are several people on here, myself included, running DV10X carts into Naim E boards.

In my view, its a very good combo. As a side bonus, the gain of the Phono input will then be much closer to that of the line level inputs, such as CD.

The Naim E board - both 323 and 523 - is essentially the same design, for S, K & E. So, as E boards are a bit rare, one option is to buy the appropriate S or K boards, and get them converted.

Hope this helpsā€¦?

(You donā€™t say what exactly you haveā€¦? This would not apply to a Stageline, sadly. )

Itā€™s a tricky one because high output MCs are neither one thing or the other. However, while they will work fine into N MM boards/Stageline output is a bit low and I have found the sound tends to lack something. I much preferred using E MC boards/Stageline. Peter Swain at @Cymbiosis reckons you can even use S MC Stageline so long as you have a big power supply like a Hicap dedicated to it. I havenā€™t tried that myself and would be a little worried about headroom on high level cuts, but I defer to Peterā€™s experience here.

1 Like

how about a different phono stage altogether such as dynaā€™s own dv75?

10x5 or 10x5/II with a Stageline S yes but I am using a 552 to power it which is a better supply than a Hi-Cap so Iā€™d need to check. No issues with HiCap DR or SC/SCDR of course.

2 Likes

It is a stageline apologies for not clarifying

1 Like

OK, so you would - AFAIK - need to find a Stageline E. Which is probably a rare beastā€¦

Hi Richard

It is the ā€œlacking somethingā€ that is leading me to consider different options. It sounds like I would be better swapping the stageline N for an E possibly or swapping to an MM cart, ( i have no allegiance to the DV cart as it was in the TT when I bought it).

The other issue if I keep the DV is the powers supply. At present I am using an FC and donā€™t really want to additional expense of a HC.

I will probably give Peter a ring and take his advice.

Chris

1 Like

I really want to minimise my spend and would prefer to either, keep the stageline N and replace the DV Cart with a MM or replace the Stageline N with an E and keep the DV cart.

Either way the DV cart is worth something or if I swap the stageline that is too.

I am just wary of making a mistake and being no better off.

A pal is going to lend me a TT with a MM cart fitted so i can compare so I suppose that is the first step.

Chris

3 Likes

AFAIK? can you explain please

1 Like

As Far As I Knowā€¦

I do not believe that an N Stageline can be converted to E.

Bit of info missing here. As this is a naim forum, what preamp are you using? As this may help with the answer.
As @IanRobertM has already said, the answer is the E version. And even better if you are using a nac72, as any MC ( 323) boards can be converted to E type easily.
Iā€™m a recent convert to 323 E boards and a DV 10x5mk2 cartridge on my P6. Great sound, canā€™t fault it.
I did try with the MM boards, but got bored of having to run the 72 past 12 Oā€™clock on the volume pot. Much more drive with the Es.

So, there you have it. Or, go for a non naim phono stage such a trichord dino.

Parks Audio Puffin is a fantastic RIAA for the price.

No more difficult with 523 boards, eitherā€¦

(I have both 323 E and 523 Eā€¦)

No but i can sell the N one i have and buy a new E

Im moving towards keeping the N and swapiing to a MM cart as I dont think the FC2 has enough power ?

1 Like

I have a nait XS and am using an FC 2 to power the phono

Sorryā€¦But that makes no sense. The FC doesnā€™t have enough powerā€¦? For whatā€¦?

1 Like

The FC2 isnā€™t the issue. It might be weedy, but itā€™s more than capable if doing what itā€™s designed to do. The n stageline just does not have the gain to drive the amp.
The DV is a great cartridge, be carefull if changing for a MM. Do your research before jumping.

1 Like

I have been using DV10X carts since 1979. With a diversion to Linn carts, for a while.

I am on my 3rd DV10X now - and will likely go for a 4th oneā€¦ :astonished:

1 Like

'Eā€™s are rare. Probably best to get Darren at Class A (Sheffield) to convert your ā€˜Nā€™ version. This option would be cheap too - I know how important this is in Yorkshire!
:grinning: