Best Preamp for 250

I think the big fish has answered your question!

Lets see if are fearless leader can add anything that might influence your decision:

RICHARD DANE ADMINISTRATOR

“The NAC252 asks more of the source and the overall setup of the system too. By comparison the NAC282 is far more forgiving here. When you move to a better pre-amp and it’s a double-edged sword; you hear more going on but it’s also not unusual to suddenly hear a problem somewhere in the source or setup that was previously masked.”

Enjoy Your Music, The Why!

PS. When Naim debuted it’s Reference CD player @ the 2007 CES they chose Naim’s middle of the road pre (282). Perhaps they were trying to mask some last minute problem before the exhibition:

CD555>282>SC>Snaxo 362>3 x 250>DBLs

In Sum, I feel the 282 is a decent controller:

NAC ~ Naim’s Audio Controller
NAP ~ . … Power

Anything from 272/282 upwards will be fine (don’t listen to a 552 unless you really have the funds!) - 202 at a push but you’ll probably find the soundstage somewhat narrow.

Regards,

Lindsay

Wish there was more used Naim equipment in North America!

1 Like

Why not try a non naim pre.

Another option is a 52 - I bought one in around 2011/2012 I think and got my money back earlier this year. Of course it might be harder to find a 52 than a 252 (wherever you are), but there is no reason to think of it as at terribly inferior to a 252. I bought mine just-serviced and the 250 I got slightly later (or was it earlier? I forget) I had serviced soon after buying it

No so wise. Naim power amps usually work at their best with a Naim pre-amp. However, no problems with a Naim pre-amp and a non-Naim power amp. But, as Naim designs their pre and power amps to work at their best together, it just seems a bit daft to have one without the other.

3 Likes

“Please do not post links to specific retailer’s websites. Naim retailer contact details are available from Find a Retailer http://www.naimaudio.com/find-a-retailer and the forum is not the place to favour particular retailers.”

@Richard.Dane thanks for the edit, I love pictures rather than links. Looking at the rules, no links!

But I couldn’t figure out what you did!
Please Help!:wink:

PS. First time I read da rules.:confused:

Thanks In Advance.

@Richard.Dane is very fast indeed, and certainly nothing escape his eyes… :wink:

I have a Krell integrated at the Minute and just dipping my toe in with Naim so will try Nain first.

Thanks Richard

Naim pre-amps do feed Krell power amps rather well. At least IMHO.

But I heartily agree, not the other way around.

Got a 2000 500 and 552 a bit younger from Cymbiosis serviced late 2016. Absolute gems, so what Tim says about preloved is good advice.

Heard a 282 + HCDR with 250DR with NDX2 + XPSDR and Dynaudio Confidence 20s. Sounded very nice playing classical, but didn’t do Ry Cooder’s Mambo Sinuendo very well. Best to demo first but with preloved some dealers don’t like to loan.

Phil

1 Like

Blasphemer!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.