Best recorded piano you have ever heard?

Hi Jonathan, what a lovely thought you’ve had, my sympathies for your friend. Some fantastic suggestions already, I’d add Brendel’s Beethoven 4th Piano Concerto with Rattle and the Wiener Philharmoniker as a suggestion. I hope the music gives you both some solace.

1 Like

I know we are all different, but despite being broadly impressed with Brendel’s analogue Beethoven piano sonatas on Philips, I have never taken to this recording of the 4th with Rattle. My choice for a good 4th and a cracking 5th would be Till Fellner, Kent Nagano, Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal. That is a wonderful pairing. Sorry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Plus one for the Till Fellner.

1 Like

@JonathanG I really don’t have the knowledge to answer your question, but I hope that the visit goes well for both of you, for all the best reasons.

I just wanted to say a huge thank-you to everyone for some wonderful musical suggestions, I’m going to explore all of them and hope some at least are on Tidal but will buy some of our favourites. I bought her a Fiio player and some good headphones just over a year ago so it will be good to get some of these pieces on it for her.

I’m sure my friend will be very appreciative and we will be able to share some great music together during her visit so I’m very very grateful to you all.

I do hope some of you who don’t know the Shostakovich piece enjoy the second movement as much as I do! One of the most incredible musical memories I have was when she played it to me by moonlight at the Birmingham Conservatoire one evening in 1989. I’d just watched her as part of the Conservatoire Orchestra and Chorus perform the Beethoven 9th which was superb. Afterwards we met up and I suggested I buy her a drink in the bar but she took me off to a room in the Conservatoire, sat me down on the piano stool, turned the light off leaving just the moonlight streaming in through a large window, came to sit beside me and proceeded to blow my musical brains out with the most delicate and moving rendition of the Shostakovich second movement I have ever heard. I’d never heard the piece before at all but it has been indelibly etched in my memory ever since! It’s hard to think of anything as delicate or beautiful.

I’ve only been serenaded by a girl just the once, but she still makes me cry when she plays it!

With profound thanks,

Jonathan

6 Likes

I’m not a great lover of classical piano and so can’t offer any pieces ofmusic but here is a link to a professional mobile recording studio.

For me there are many, many superbly well recorded piano pieces… just far too many to mention.
So for me it’s about the playing and interpretation…and piano concertos can be wonderfully emotionally satisfying as well… Shostakovich’s 2nd piano concerto comes to mind.

Therefore I guess I’ll focus on what irritates me in a piano recording… and that is too much emphasis of the noises from the pianist… such as breathing noises, creaking piano stool, shuffling etc… when I enjoy live piano recitals I never am drawn to this distractions, so don’t want to be in a recording.

2 Likes

This is another recent recording of the Shostakovich which I highly recommend. It was a Gramophone Editor’s choice a few months ago too.

Best

David

Another Shostakovich recording you might like is that of his preludes and fugues. I was very much moved by your account and it took me back to when I first heard his work at the Proms in the early 1980’s, later I heard these piano pieces in Vilnius. I had not listened to these in years but they came to mind when I woke this morning - quintessentially Russian.

You could look into renting a grande piano, or what’s appropriate- if you have the space and some recording equipment. Make the recording yourself.

What a great friend you are! I will offer up 2 non-classical “suggestions.”

CVgopIrz

Second, any of the works of Brad Mehldau. While a bit cliche by now, this one has him playing Blackbird which is one of his trademarks:

R1ZZt9aN

1 Like

Dear Jonathan,

Nice that you will to get time with your friend, best to you both at a scary difficult time.

Tidal was a revelation for me, as a long time blues guitar fan… that’s where I learned that, just like guitar heroes all sound like themselves, piano is a touch instrument too. My baby steps into classical warrant no advice from me - although I was tipped to the great Paul Lewis recordings mentioned earlier in this thread right here on the forum six or seven years ago. I’ve consistently been listening to Sokolov’s Salzburg Recital, which I really enjoy for energy, feel, and tone; it sounds like a piano, which not everything seems to after all.

But my side-step take on your question is to point to Rudy Van Gelder (remastered or otherwise) as a great place to start for sheer quality of recording, capturing emotion and energy and some other thing that sounds fluid and real to me. I’ve been diving in and out of that pool… and just yesterday discovered that the Roon search capability in Tidal turns up trumps and offers over 1500 albums on which he is in production … a gold mine. I’m listening to Cross Section by Billy Taylor; totally new to me, it’s a live-in-studio set by the trio from 1954. Kinda cool and hip. You might have fun together hopping through unknown territory as an interlude to your more structured set? Finding a gem together would be a lovely outcome to cast a different shine on a day I hope you both treasure.

My very kindest regards, with thanks for sharing, alan

Steve, Glenn Gould hums in his later 1981 recording!

Phil

Boris Giltburg - Rachmaninov EtudesTableaux and Moments Musicaux is wonderful.

Phil

Debussy by Bavouzet is wonderful indeed.
I would add “Volodos plays Mompou”, and Brahms’s late pieces, by the same Volodos.
And many many more, as you say.

Yep true - but certainly in both versions I have.
I think he’s louder in the 81 version, but still there on the 55 (e.g. variations 10 and 11).

What a wonderful thread. I’m certainly going to look some of these suggestions up

I am very touched by all of you for your compassion - so much so I shall show Anne your comments while we play through the suggestions.

I am sure she will be as touched as I am. What a truly unique and wonderful community this is

With profound thanks,

Jonathan

2 Likes

Jonathan, my best wishes to both you and Anne, despite having a piano in the living room I do not pretend to be an expert.
I agree with the mentions of Dr John, although my favourite is Dr John Plays Mack Rebenneck.
For peace and contemplation Arvo Pärt Spiegel im Spiegel.
A composer I have never seen mentioned, Louis Moreau Gottschalk, in particular Music for Four Hands.
Then off the wall, taking a bit of liberty, piano accordion and recordings by the wonderful Ksenija Sidorova.

To hear the real sound of a piano in you living room, this is one of the best: Yevgeny Sudbin - Beethoven 6 Bagatelles and Sonatas 31 & 32. The execution and the sound is remarkable.
Alfred Brendel - Beethoven - Schumann Theme and Variations.
Enjoy!

1 Like