Best ripping software for non ripped cds

here on Dbpoweramp. I can’t choose the speed. Very very slow progression. The other albums were done in 5 mn. Here, this only track is at 5% only , after 5 mn.

If you have cleaned it with glass cleaner and it still won’t rip then the disc is duff.

i ripped all the 10 cds of this box with my unitserve. Had no problem.
Perhaps my pc is old ( dell xps 15 from 2002), or the pc is not enough powerful…i don’t know.
But for now, since yesterday, i ripped about 50 cds without problem.
Just this one and another one.

Am I correct in thinking that Miles Davis album is a Warner Bros. release? If so, that might be your problem. I’ve had many Warner CDs that have failed to rip in the manner you’ve described. I suspect they played a bit fast and loose with the red book standard, in ways that had the benefit (for them) of making them tricky to rip. I too use DBPoweramp, and a 2010 Dell desktop PC.

I bought a Samsung external DVD-ROM drive to give me a second shot at ripping troublesome discs, but it doesn’t help in all circumstances. My failsafe option is copying the CD to a CD-RW using my Yamaha CD/HD recorder, which hasn’t failed me yet. But the best option for you is probably to try another external drive. When this problem cropped up on another forum the poster with the issue ended up with an Asus ZenDrive; I haven’t bought one yet, but it’s on my wishlist…

What was the other disc you had trouble ripping?

2 Likes

Replacement ROM drive then. I checked on dbPoweramp’s recommended drives and picked the one that gave the fewest errors based on stats submitted by users. These drives are cheap these days.

Get a new usb drive, sounds Iike the drives the issue and not the software. I had a similar experience last year, just replaced it for a new one off Amazon. Worked like a charm.

To test if it’s the drive, just try playing the disk on the laptop - it’ll either play fine or it won’t!

1 Like

I am still ripping a lot of cds now without problem. In 5 minutes in general per album. I feel it’s more related to metadata inside.

I posted a similar thread a while ago. Had a cd with one track that neither dbPoweramp, iTunes or XLD would rip without errors that produced audible stutters. I ended up spending $1.49 and bought that one track, lossless, from HDTracks.

At some point it’s diminishing returns and I’d rather buy a few downloads than spend a lot of money faffing about with new cd drives and more software, etc etc etc

if it was available, i would not hesitate to buy the album. Found it nowhere.

Miles Davis , complete recordings in Montreux. 1973-1986.

I use EAC, you have to watch if your drive is still in good condition, I have exchanged twice my drive at the point in time in which I got a lot of errors back.

1 Like

1973-1991 is on Amazon. Maybe just don’t rip anything past 1986 :slight_smile:

you speak of the cd box on amazon or the download ? i am searching the album to download.

my unitserve ripped it. But for now i couldn’t extract it from the serve to my melco. But a geek will come at my dealer place to help this week.

oh sorry that’s the cd box

1 Like

M. Rooster, some people have made suggestions of alternative settings options to try in dBpoweramp, you have not replied so we are all left to assume you’ve simply ignored these suggestions.

i have replied and posted what i see on the screen. I don’t see another set up of dbpoweramp possible. Perhaps i am not using the best dbpoweramp site?

Your screen shot shows nothing that indicates what base settings you have
I am talking about the suggestions to use the following settings
‘Defective by Design’
‘Burst’
Xanthe post said ‘Fast’ mode (i.e. with all the fancy error detection modes turned off) this is the same as Burst

All can be found in https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm

i will check that, thanks.

i found the settings. Changed as recommended.
Very slow progression still. Will report.

1 Like