Best Rock Vocalist

Thank you timmo1341.

1 Like

And Sonja Kristina was gorgeous as well as a great singer. Saw Curved Air in the early 70s, i think all the guys in the audience thought the same,

2 Likes

Lucinda Williams … listen to her latest album

1 Like

Which one? Good Souls Better Angles?

Yes, that’s the one … she smoked at least 2 packets of cigarettes and downed a fifth of bourbon before she started … excellent album …

3 Likes

Vedder.

Van Morrison.

2 Likes

Brian Johnson of ACDC was the voice of some of my favorite rock songs…,

1 Like

Whether they are ‘rock’ I am not so sure, but my top males vocal artists are

Freddie Mercury
Ian Curtis
Tom Jones
Thom Yorke

All very different styles, but each has something inimitable about them.

4 Likes

Biggus Dickus from the man-rock band “Wome In A Day”. Particularly effective on Wome’s seminal album “My Microphone Stand Is Enormous”.

2 Likes

I saw Sonja with Curved Air a few times too - great singer, great band.

I first saw Sonja at Chelmsford Folk Club when she was Sandy Denny’s replacement in The Strawbs. I don’t think anything was recorded which is a shame.

I bought the first Curved Air album the day it came out and it sounded pretty awful. Not the music, which was superb but sound quality owing to it being a picture disc (possibly the first picture disc). A college friend had a plain black copy and that was so much better. Thankfully, you can buy it as an LP or CD now and enjoy excellent sound quality.

After Curved Air, Sonja became the Rock, Jazz and Musical Theatre tutor for Performing Arts Students at Middlesex University. During that time she released a solo album called “Songs from the Acid Folk”, which I’d thoroughly recommend.

The reformed Curved Air’s North Star is not a bad album either.

1 Like

… not forgetting Bigus’s biggest-selling single, “My Incontinenta”…

About as meaningful as ‘Best 100 rock albums’ or ‘Best Drummer’ or ‘Best …’!
I recently finished browsing through ‘1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die’. I own approx. 500 of them, 300 I wouldn’t turn off if they popped up on Radio Paradise. The final 200 would come somewhere between puncturing my eyeballs with a pointed stick and self-immolation.

Just goes to show how different our tastes are and how pointless threads like this are unless treated in a very light hearted fashion!

1 Like

Rod Stewart has got to be in the mix. And Joe Cocker.

5 Likes

Agreed - totally pointless and subjective exercise, but just a bit of uninformed fun.

Oh - and its Roger Chapman. No contest.

That’s all I have to say about that.

3 Likes

Ian Gillan?

Also surprised no one has yet suggested Sir Mick.

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/best-frontman/344?u=dave-marshall

Sorry about that, the link doesn’t appear to work.

It must be as it links back to a now “closed” topic? :man_shrugging:

Edit : It does work, after all, if you highlight it and “Control > Click” > “Go to Address in new tab”… (on a Mac). :+1:

Agree with Rod Stewart and don’t forget Phil Lynott

1 Like

Tiny Tim