Best Roon client

FLAC takes up less disk space and the Metadata architecture is better. Most FLAC downloads come with decent Metadata. With a suitable Media Server (e.g. Asset) you can transcode on the fly so the Naim streamer just sees WAV.

2 Likes

I’m committed to stick with Tidal for the foreseeable future (so Qobuz hires files are not going to work for me). So to get better SQ I could:

1. Get Roon
  2. Get a QNAP or Synology NAS - for file storage and transcoding of FLAC to WAV.
  3. Use Asset as a media server, and dbPoweramp as a ripper.
  4. Set up a Sonore UPnP Bridge running on a Sonore Rendu or Small Green Computers unit - into the 272 via the ethernet socket (acting as a Sonicorbiter or Roon endpoint?)
  5. The 272 acts as a DNLA device.

Does that sound like a workable plan?
So Roon is around £500 for a lifetime sub, and the NAS, Bridge and cables cost perhaps another £500 - so around £1k for what one would hope is a significant upgrade in SQ…

None of the above are going to make a ‘significant’ upgrade.

1. & 3. are only going to be of benefit if you buy CDs and /or downloads. If you intend to rely on Tidal then you don’t need a NAS.

Can’t help with Roon as it’s not something I would need or want.

1 Like

Roon is an alternative to a UPnP server, with its own app and a host of other features that you may or may not use. I don’t honestly believe it will sound significantly different from a UPnP server (free or very cheap) on a NAS (which you probably need anyway). It may sound subtly different, perhaps subjectively a little better of worse, but I’d say that’s about as far as it goes on sound quality.

2 Likes

I too noticed a (very) subtle difference when comparing WAV and FLAC files on my old Naim ND5XS with external power supply. However, I have not noticed any difference when playing files through my Linn Klimax Ds/1 or my microRendu/Gustard U12/Chord Hugo set-ups.

1 Like

Excellent - well that saves me £1k and a lot of fiddling around and filling up my sitting room with more electronics!
Maybe I should just get a PSU for the 272 instead…
But - yes, I would like to get a 1-bay NAS/Asset and rip my good CDs to it.

By the way - sincere apologies to the OP, wilro15. I got mixed up between this thread and another one I had opened on a similar topic! I hope those latter posts were helpful to you too, wilro15…
All the best
Jim

Yes, to both :grin:

1 Like

No problem, I have found the conversation very useful.

I have just taken delivery of a Vortexbox Mite which will run the Sonore UPnP Bridge software. I plan to get it setup in a couple of days and will report back on my findings.

1 Like

I got going with a 60 day free trial on the Innuos Zen Mini MK 3 I am demoing. The Roon Core runs on the Zen and it plays back on the spdif output connected to my nDAC + 555. The combo is absolutely amazing including the sound quality and I haven’t even got the LPS yet to tweak the SQ further. It connects to the network via my Cisco 2960 switch which made a noticeable SQ difference. The ripping is brilliant. Roon reads old Core and UnitiServe shares without issues as far as I can tell.

As a CDX2 user (into nDAC), the Zen is performing better SQ wise, although the CDX2 laser lens is due to be cleaned as it’s started having noticeable trouble with one CD. The CDX2 BNC may also be an issue. It should be better than the Zen!

If the OP wants to stick with the 272 then use the spdif interface as I do. Costs £899 with 1TB.

Phil

1 Like

For the record Roon does not send Flac to any streamers regardless of if your using UPnP bridge or Roon Ready endpoint . All formats are converted pcm before sending in to an endpoint, thats part of the whole eco system, nothing is done on the endpoints the core handles it.

1 Like

I didn’t know that - it could explain why Tidal sounds so good via Roon as I believe it sends Flac if the Naim app is used.

1 Like

Correct.

If you have an MQA DAC it obviously gives you the full resolution if it’s 192/24 or higher and applies the MQA filters. Without the DAC you can get to full Res for 88.2/24 or 96/24 files only but non of the MQA filtering. You may prefer one over the other.

1 Like

I’m having trouble getting the Vortexbox Mite (Sonore UPnP Bridge) to work properly. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Mite is connected via ethernet direct to my router and is powered on

2. My Naim 272 is also connected via ethernet to my router

3. From Roon I have enabled Squeezebox Support

4. I opened a web browser and went to www.sonicorbiter.com but it did not detect any devices. So I found the IP address of the Mite and browsed to it directly.

5. From the Mite page I went to Settings > Sonore UPnP Bridge

6. The Bridge does not detect my Naim streamer as there is nothing to select in the “Available Renderers” list

7. I’ve tried rebooting the Naim just in case

Here is a screenshot of the Sonore UPnP Bridge config page

Issue resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling Sonore UPnP Bridge app on the Vortexbox/Audiostore Mite. After the reinstall, the bridge successfully detected my Naim 272 and also my LG TV.

2 Likes

Are you running Roon on this unit too? Its quite underpowered for Roons full duties. You might find it struggle with a large library and any DSP actions required.

No. The Roon Core is on a mac mini

1 Like

how does it sound?

Sounds good! I wouldn’t say it is any better than usual, but then it shouldn’t be as it ought to be the same as regular streaming.

The one issue I do have is that occassionally the volume is set to 100% by something: Roon, Sonore, something else. I haven’t figured out what yet. I’ve set the maximum volume on the 272 to 50 so as not to damage anything.

Qobuz is playing through Roon with no problems too. Currently trying out the Radio feature.