Best sound possible on budget

One thing we are missing still is a budget.

I feel only a dealer can help him. Check the cartridge and Linn set up.
Test the Kans , if they don’t need a service.
Test the Naim amps and check the date of service.

The OP didn’t responded on what means horrible for him. It’s an important information here.

The OP has also not indicated how much they can afford to spend. Without that, what we also say is of limited value.

2 Likes

I think that’s a pretty good indication. I also remember times when I have wanted to get the best possible for the smallest outlay.

In your case with a small budget and amplifier I would look into Klipsch speakers, cheap and very easy to drive. The sound is good enough for the price range.

« im going to change the speakers and the cartridge/stylus,and get a set of nac5 speaker cable !! Im looking at old retro kef 104 reference speakers and a audio technica vmn30en cartridge »

So he has at least around 600 GBP of budget.

Just to close this off from me to the OP.
I have connected the 92/90 to my Fyne floorstanders just to satisfy myself that the 90 can effectively drive an ‘easier’ speaker.

Sounding very good indeed compared to the Kans. Once you have ruled out either the turntable or the 92/90 being at fault, try some easier to drive speakers and see how you get on.

Edit: There is a substantial uplift with the flatcap added. If you can find the extra you should be able to find an olive version for less than 200, or the later black classic version for not much more than 200.

2 Likes

A few observations:

Kans can get ‘old and tired’, this can be a crossover problem or a driver problem, both can be fixed
 IF that’s the problem. Testing this is best done by putting them on someone else’s system and see if the same problems persist.

Naim Amplifiers need to be serviced by Class A or Naim themselves, not 3rd parties. The reason for this is selection of component types - particularly capacitors. Different types of capacitors can sound completely different even if they are the same value.

Amplifier power and speaker load:
Naim Kans are a hard load for an amp to drive, because of their static electrical characteristics (I seem to recall a high phase angle at low impedance); some other speakers, particularly more complex speakers (like the Kef 104s) place high dynamic loads on amplifiers.
Where the problem comes from their static electrical characteristics, a more powerful amp will usually fix this problem.
Where the problem comes from high dynamic load, the amplifier needs to have both more power and greater dynamic ability (i.e. be able to deliver higher transient current, much faster).
Naim have never rated their amps using “music power”(sic) as this term has no meaning, Naim have always specified RMS power, and have always measured this conservatively compared to how many other manufacturers measure power, Naim amps are typically 5% to 15% more powerful than the spec suggests.

Your post indicate that you’d be more happy changing the speakers and keeping the amp, so:

1. Check with both Naim and Darren at Class A to make sure the servicing was done correctly (rather than by a 3rd party who doesn’t have access to Naim’s research on which parts to use and just used random parts that have the same component value).

2. Make sure your turntable is set up correctly!

3. Work out exactly what it is that you mean by ‘horrible’.

4. Evaluate speakers to replace the Kans
    4a. Suitable speakers will have dramatically different sounds, if buying new compare many nodels
    4b. Multi drive unit speakers (more than 3 way) are usually too complex for a NAP 90.
    4c. Speakers that originally cost more than double the cost of the NAP 90 will just show up additional issues.
    4d. From the 90’s on, the advantage of larger (e.g. 6.5"+) drive units is very much less (technological advances).

5. Post here what speaker cable you are using: some types of speaker cable can destabilise a NAP 90 and make it sound horrible.

5 Likes

Nice summary of what to do and check, but only if the OP is still with us :grin:

2 Likes

Soon the stacking police will advise

I know, I know. Just not Naim, it’s the rebel in me. I expect to be banned very soon. :laughing:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.