Best sounding classical releases?

Both also in my collection - and I agree with your assessment (though I don’t mind Previn’s narration)!

The Telarc PaaE was one of my very first classical purchases. It’s brilliant.

2 Likes

Telarc’s early recordings were done with the Soundstream system, which recorded at 50kHz. In the early days of SACD, they re-released some of their early recordings as DSD, thus preserving the original 50kHz data. Has anyone heard them to comment, especially comparing them to the vanilla (and downsampled to 44.1) CDs?

Mark

String Quartet isn’t as difficult to record as piano or full orchestra, but for this release, Harmonia Mundi themselves bragged about the sound quality having reached a new level. The performance is fantastic, so an easy buy if you enjoy Bach’s AoF.

2 Likes

My only experience is with the 44.1kHz CD versions. They’re certainly “crisp” if that’s what you like. Sharp top end and transients. Dynamics are outstanding. DG from the same era tend to be a bit “warmer” and smoother? Just a general impression, and likely varies with individual recordings.

Same here. It was my first classical CD.

Interesting. DG records (i.e.vinyl) from the later analog era (70s - early 80s) have about the worst sound quality among classical labels. Lacking bass, lacking midrange texture, edgy/screechy treble. A lot of that was Karajan interfering with the recording/mastering engineers. They sounded better in the 80s, etc. when my system wasn’t as good.

It’s only more recently, with EBS mastering reissues and now with their excellent job remastering The Original Source series that those flaws are getting corrected.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of CDs from the 80s on. I might also be a bit confused. It might be the Decca ones I’m thinking of that had a notably “softer/warmer” feel than the Telarcs. But I really liked a lot of the Telarcs to the point I’d seek them out. There’s also a chance that the Telarcs were compensating for flaws in my system, and that there was a bit of “synergy”. The geek in me also liked the technical notes they attached about the recording process and equipment. Placebo effect? Maybe.

1 Like

Decca had a much better sound quality than DG, so your description makes sense regarding Decca. I love the Decca/London/L’Oiseau-Lyre recordings from the 70s and still listen to those records often.

4 Likes

RCA had some amazing recordings from the “golden age” of the late '50s and early '60s. Decca too, right into the 1970s, and many of the “Wilkie Wonders” recorded by Ken Wilkinson stand comparison with anything before or since. Speaking of KW, he recorded much of the Lyrita catalogue, which is well worth investigating for both performance and sound quality.

4 Likes

My first classical LP was actually a Telarc. Seiji Ozawa with the BSO.

2 Likes

I agree those RCA Living Stereo and the early Deccas have an amazing sound. Analog Productions did two series of 25 RCA Living Stereo titles and a followup 12 title series of the Decca/RCA classical. I have all but one of the last titles (on backorder) and there are a lot of gems in the collection of 61 albums.

The RCA Reiner/CSO of Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra is amazing. I have yet to hear it improved.

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly about the Yuja Wang Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos. They are very well played and recorded - although I don’t imagine that anyone will ever match Michelangeli’s EMI recording of the Fourth from 60-odd years ago, coupled with an equally wondrous and beautiful account of the Ravel Piano Concerto.

I saw Ms Wang play a recent John Adams piece at the Brighton Festival a few months ago - with her trademark short skirt, high heels and all. She is a tiny lady, but she generates huge power on her piano.

2 Likes

You owe it to yourself to hear Carlos Kleiber’s legendary recording of Beethoven’s Fifth with the Vienna Philharmonic (DG), released as long ago as 1975.

2 Likes

…and Telarc are available on Qobuz.

Qobuz updated their search screen so you can search by label.

My suggestion:

Reference Recordings.

On Presto Music you can sort for Penguin Rosettes and other awarded recordings. It’s not a perfect list, but a decent place to get some ideas. Many of the recordings mentioned here will be on that list.

I will agree with this. I especially like the recordings in this label that Oue conducted with Minnesota. Pines of Rome, Firebird Suite, Appalachian Spring and Fanfare for the Common Man, etc. Bass drums and timpani that will make you jump out of your chair!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.