Best SQ on CDs from a DVD player at about £40 second hand?

When I found out that it was £75 to stream the last three series of The Wire, I bought a Sony BDP-S570 3D for £50, which also plays CDs and SACDs via Toslink (into my Naim DAC).

1 Like

Didn’t think this was possible.

Well, there’s a digital Toslink audio output on the back of the DVD player.

And there’s a digital Toslink audio input on the back of my Naim DAC.

I currently feed that input on the nDAC with the output of the Set top box of my Samsung TV.

YouTube videos that have good SQ sound good via that route, partly because there’s no electrical interference on a Toslink optical cable.

There’s also coaxial digital output on the back of the BDP.

I haven’t received the BDP yet so cannot say that it will work.

(There are also audio analog right and left phono line level outputs on the BDP as well.)

Afaik you are correct. Standard cds yes sacd no.

Oh yes, I think Toslink is limited to just two channels of PCM.

I have no SACDs so it’s a hypothetical point for me.

But I’ll probably get better CD SQ with a coaxial Digital RCA (to BNC?) cable anyway.

I probably got an RCA to BNC converter that I could use on the end of my Naim DC1.

I’m currently using my old Sony DVD player instead of my equally old Sony CD player, using sp-dif.

I am convinced, without the old “confirmation bias” that my DVD player sounds better than my CD player into my Azur 851N

Does your DVD player sound as good or better or worse than using the inbuilt streamer in the Azur?

Imo much better using the Azur dac rather than analogue out. Tbh, I was not expecting such an uplift in sq. I used toslink first, then an Atlas Hyper DD new old stock cable which I found preferable to Chord Shawline

It will be the cd layer of an SACD.

Yes that’s my understanding.

Final report:

The Sony BDP arrived from Ebay, and it was dreadful.

The picture was grainy, and when I tried sending audio from CDs to the nDAC it was unlistenable.

I don’t know whether it was too old, broken or damaged in some way, or whether it was just a bad BDP.

I returned it to the seller and have had a refund.

I think you maybe right and wrong at the same time. I bought a SACD player from Pioneer and tried to get a digital signal out - to no avail.

I seem to remember being told that the only firm that you could get SACD output from was a Sony as they developed SACD and they determined how the signs could be output , so a digital Sony SACD signal could be output but every other manufacturer could not .

It is hazy memory so if I am wrong …

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.