Best upgrade given my set-up

In my journey I started off with same system (apart from NDX, not NDX2)

I found during demo day with @Cymbiosis the 282 added the most sigificant improvement then 250DR

NDX is not my main source so as others have said I would either PSU on NDX2 or 282, If I was do have to do one first it would be 282 which IMO is a superb Pre mine was matched with HCDR and then SC#

enjoy the journey and the music

4 Likes

If it is was meā€¦

1. XPS-DR
  2. NAC 282
  3. NAP 250 DR

Based on my experience when moving from:
NDX 2 > HiCapDR > SN 2 > NAC A5 > ProAC D30RS
to XPS-DR > NDX 2 > HiCapDR > SN 2 > NAC A5 > ProAC D30RS
to XPS-DR > NDX 2 > HiCapDR > NAC 282 > SN 2 > NAC A5 > ProAC D30RS
to XPS-DR > NDX 2 > HiCapDR > NAC 282 > 250 DR > NAC A5 > ProAC D30RS

Each component when added improved the sound and performance of the system. Others have added the same components in a different order and reported improvements as well.

As others have suggested work with a dealer and demo in the shop and at home.

Good luck with your decision and have fun along the way!

3 Likes

I would go for the 282 definitely. Then look at the 200 and go for a 250DR, or possibly 300. An XPSDR or 555PS would be another possibility for your NDX2.

Have a think about ultimately where you want to be?

Can you buy used easily?

This stuff can be picked uo easily used in the UK at a fraction of the price.

1 Like

555 ps for the ndx2ā€¦
Source first.

2 Likes

This is the key point.

Looking back I got an 82 and then relatively quickly after a 52 and a Supercap.

So try to avoid something that would be a dead end or quickly replaced.

Can the 202 take a Supercap? It may be a bit too much but ultimately save you money. Depending on your budget etc

2 Likes

I lent my friend my 282 and hicap to try on his 202,200&HCā€¦ he was very unimpressedā€¦ (which was annoying because I thought It was an easy sell)ā€¦ said it made little difference?? Which amazed meā€¦ he then bought a SH 250, 282 six months laterā€¦ and said the difference was immenseā€¦! Guess the 200 didnā€™t do much for the 282??

I woukd go for 282 and 250 first! I went 82 HiCap 250 after a Nait 5Si. Added a 2nd Hicap. Sounded amazing.

Other option for OP is 82 with 250. Olive 82 and maybe Olive or CB 250. Worked perfectly for me.

It depends what you can get hold of.

An 82 is equivalent of 282 albeit the older version in case you didnā€™t know!!

4 Likes

Me to, although if possible I might go straight 555. However, the 282 really is a paradigm shift over the 202.

1 Like

Until yesterday I had the same amplifier set up as you, although my source was nDAC with a Cambridge Audio CXN v2 and a Rega RP8. I have now replaced the NAC 202 with a NAC 282 and have been amazed at the significant improvement to the sound. The NAC 202 was very good, but the 282 improves the sound in so many ways. The dynamic range has increased, and the bass seems to go lower and is much more controlled. There is also much more detail and stereo imaging is much sharper and defined. I would recommend the change to a NAC 282.

4 Likes

Thanks!

Starting w 282 : ) Thanks!

1 Like

Roger that. Thanks

Hi Jonas.

NDX2, 202, Napsc, 200dr, Hicap dr, PMC Twenty5 23.
Changed 202 for 282, obvious upgrade
Then changed 200dr for 250dr, wow - the difference was huge, the base so improved.
Now on the hunt for a 555ps.

Be very careful, upgrading gets addictive!

Enjoy your journey.

Best regards,
Colin.

Thanks! And, feel you :slight_smile:

Hi Jonash1.

Gone and swapped the 250 for 300dr, just keeps getting better!

Definitely addicted.:wink:

Best regards.
Colin.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.