Best ? UPnP Server with Raspberry Pi

I’m running a Raspberry Pi 3b with Bubble UPnP, I’m planning to start over as having an issue.

Anyway as I’m starting over I thought what is the best software (Asset, Minimserver, Moore, Bubble, etc…) or is it all purely UI not sound quality related ?

Asset and Minim are music servers and so are not comparable to Bubble.

What is the issue that you’re having?

Asset from my limited experience seems a lot easier to setup than minim. Bubble is not UPnP server itas Guinless already mentioned, it acts a s a proxy and control app and will allow normal UPnP renderers to act as Openhome renderers and allow your library to be accessible outside of your network and home. As well as adding streaming services and Chromecast support.

Lighting symbol with only hdmi connected, after some digging is either an inadequate p/s I am now using and ifi 5v/2.5A or as some forums suggested an old version of the boot, I tried the sudo update commands came up with quite a few errors, so figured let me start over, then thought is there a better SQ way.

Understood was looking to use asset with dbpoweramp, but I like the bubble setup just thinking what is the best for SQ.

Lightning is a duff PSU or its just drawing to much current than it can maintain. They tend to when you have a display attached. I’ve heard a lot of issues with power and the Ifi psu to.

Asset, dbpoweramp and Bubble are all completely different applications with their own purpose. You can’t swap Bubble for Asset for example.

Must be an ifi p/s, as the stock p/s is fine.

Serious question this…why can’t you use a “one stop solution” like MoOde or Volumio?

I just started off and went RPi and Bubble, your question was also my question what other options are there and are they purely UI or SQ.

Just curious really, but having read a number of threads along these lines, I suppose I was wondering whether there is something specific about Naim streamers such that one needed Minim/Bubble (or other) in order to drive it.

My own system is Synology NAS (FLAC files), served by the RPi3B and MoOde software driving an IQAudioDigi board (SPDIF) feeding an nDAC-XPS into a NAC82 & active Sibbles.

Edit: and I must say that Suzanne Vega is sounding particularly fine via the Headline+Hicap & Senn HD650s. This nDAC, which I’ve only had a week or so, does appear to be a bit special…shame that the case is the wrong colour…“to the Dark Side I have turned”

Because you can’t get Qobuz using Volumio without subscription to their web service. Does moode do Qobuz. As that’s what he uses it for mainly I believe.

If you want Qobuz then Bubble is one of the best ways to achieve it. Asset is one of the best UPnP servers there is

Also bubble being Openhome means moving from different control devices the playlist will follow you as it’s saved on the server not the controller, also works really well for multiroom if you have more than one system.

Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering whether it was something like that.

I only stream my own stuff from my NAS. MoOde can pick up Internet radio stations, but a quick look through MoOde’s configuration page, there’s a mention of Spotify, but I can’t find Tidal or Quboz.

Using Bubble can also apparently improve sq of the streaming services a bit as it’s acting as a proxy server in-between the internet and your own network before it hits the streamer. A few prominent posters on here have said this.

Also he’s not using the output of the pi itself as it still feeds his Nova via UPnP over the network
it’s just via Bubble instead of direct from UPnP server.

…and it’s way too far down the “Thank God it’s Friday” second bottle of Pinot Grigot to get into the “bits iz bits” debate…:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

I should really look into this…one for my retirement I think…

1 Like

When I were a young’un digital elec. eng. we called it “double buffering”.

I think these days they call it de-jittering.

however “bits iz still bits”! :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Thanks all, yes reading up about Asset seems designed and focused ground up for audio and comes in a Raspberry Pi flavour, just do not like dbpoweramp as the controller (UI is urghh).

The UI certainly isn’t flashy :blush: but it works well enough. Once configured to your preference you don’t need to touch it again.
I think the Windows version is prettier but if you are using Linux i.e. Pi then the interface is to be expected really.