Best way connecting a subwoofer to supernait (1)

Hi Xanthe,
Thanks for they reply and explanation of what’s going on.
The bit I thought I might be imagining was the increase in the noise floor. I didn’t spend anytime investigating so am unsure whether it was noise coming through the speakers or a slight increase in transformer hum.

I checked with Naim support today and it is ok to connect high level directly to the Unitilite speaker terminals on the the back of the amplifier.

Thanks Col, if they’ve tried it at the factory with the Unitilite and it’s OK, then that’s good to know.

Thank you for all your posts. This Forum is really a great Help.

Wolfgang

Good to have that reassurance from Naim, as this subject keeps on coming up! I have stuck to the traditional Naim advice in the past, and connected at the speaker end - it seems logical given Naim’s advice on speaker cable matching in general. BUT I have discussed this with my dealer a couple of times, and on both occasions he has insisted that connecting at the amp end is fine, and that’s on separate Naim power amps as well as Unitis. He’s a well established Naim and REL dealer, so he should know his stuff - but I suspect the debate will continue to rumble on here.

Everyone please note I only talked to Naim support regarding my Unitilite subwoofer connection it may well be a different situation for other Naim amplifiers.

Prior to me upgrading my front AV speakers (which doubled up as Hi-Fi speakers) I used the small front pair from the 5.1 AV set-up - ProAc Hexa Satellite - but as these provided little/no bass my (Naim) dealer sourced and sold to me the following, using the SuperNait speaker connections to the SubWoofer Hi-Level input:

InterQuake 5m (Neutrik) Interconnect

It worked … but as I subsequently replaced said small speakers with ProAc TriTowers (lovely!) I dispensed with the interconnect … which resides with the numerous interconnects, no longer required, in my garage (anyone for a SCART?)

Just to throw a bit of a spanner in the works…
As another thread has appeared about this matter I contacted naim myself to see which amplifiers required a resistor connected to the pre / sub out connections when using a subwoofer.
Here’s the response I got:

Hi Peter

In short, all of the preamps/preamp outputs on Naim products are suitable to go straight into a subwoofer, and you won’t need to be adding any resistors into the mix.

Kind regards

Henry

Call: +44 (0) 1722 426600

support@naimaudio.com

I am now wondering whether the issue of requiring a resistor relates only to the N-sub which could possibly have a lower input impedance than other subs.

Naim’s advice in the N-Sub manual was quite clear that the resistor would be required to ensure the stability of the preamp when using a long low level interconnect, so I don’t think it would be different with a non-Naim sub.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.